Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Bottom 2 pair and the table explodes - thoughts on my turn lead?

Loose live 20/40 game. Normally I muck J9s to a raise preflop, but I am certain that there will be several coldcallers after me plus the blinds. Also, the game is LAGgy postflop, and I will get good action if I hit a big hand.

Hero is MP2 with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG raises, UTG+1 calls, some folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 raises, Hero 3-bets, some folds, Button caps almost allin, BB coldcalls, the rest call.

UTG is new to the table, and this is his first hand. UTG+1 is a bit loose preflop but very aggressive with his hands, and is likely trying to protect top pair.

Button is a LAG who plays probably 75% of his hands and often raises on the button with any piece of the board; he is almost allin, so I feel that his range of hands is anything from a flopped straight to some kind of flush draw.

BB is typically aggressive with a made hand; since he has only been checking and calling I assume he is on some kind of draw as well.

I 3-bet the flop in order to knock out the button and the blinds, only it didn't work. I call Button's cap with the plan of reevaluating the action on the turn; if the betting ahead of me continues to be frisky then I will slow down and maybe fold the river unimproved if the aciton is still multiway.

Turn is a brick.

Checked to me.

At this point I put UTG solidly on a big pocket pair, and UTG+1 on an unimproved piece of the flop.

I fire another bet.

In the heat of battle, I wanted to keep the lead on this hand and do whatever was necessary to win the pot. Now that I've had time to think about it, I am doubting myself a bit.

My fold equity is 0 on this draw-heavy board, since no one with a flush or straight draw is going to give up.

But this pot is HUGE (16.5 BB before the turn), and the flop capper is down to his last 2 BB.

Thoughts on my turn lead?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Bottom 2 pair and the table explodes - thoughts on my turn lead?

Nice job rivering a fullhouse to beat flopped straight.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:54 PM

PREFLOP: You should fold, J9s does not play well in a loose aggressive game. Most of the time you will flop a weak draw, and youll never get a chance to see the turn in this type of game. Your logic for calling makes more sense if you had a pocket pair.

FLOP: I really hate your flop play. You should not be 3 betting IMO, there are just too many cards that can hit the turn that will instantly kill your hand. Any Queen,spade,Ten,King,Ace, eight are all horrible cards for you. Thats 25 cards if im counting correctly that will potentially kill your hand. Becuz your equity in this pot is going to change dramatically with the turn card you should just call the flop raise with the intention of raising a blank turn card.

TURN: You should bet, theres still a decent chance your hand is good, you cannot allow the button to take a free card if hes on a draw. If he raises and its one BB back to you, you should call. IF he raises and somone else check/3bets, you should fold.
About you saying that your fold equity is zero. This doesnt matter, if you have the best hand you should still want to get more money in the pot. Yes it would be better if everyone folded but you still make money if they call and your ahead. Although there are up to 27 cards that can kill you on the river, 2 more since if the X turn card pairs on the river you lose to any Queen(Xs is already accounted for)....With one card to go your hand is much stronger now than it was on the flop when there were two cards to come. Betting the turn is the right move IMO.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice job rivering a fullhouse to beat flopped straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]