Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-11-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Best way to tip waitresses to get better service?

First of all, you saw "tip" in the title so if you don't want to see a [censored] tippin thread, keep it to yourself because you just shouldn't have opened the thread.

I'm fairly sure this hasn't been addressed before.

People say on here, and common sense dictates, that the more you tip the waitress, the better service you will get. Sometimes, you can just tip a white for every drink and you will get reasonable good service. Other times, the room is crowded and the waitresses are overworked, so you need to get yours to give you attention.

What is the best way to do this? If I were, to say tip a $25 chip the first time she got me a drink, I'd imagine she'd come right back whenever I neeeded a new one, but then am I expected to tip more for each drink? Or is the best strategy just to give a bigger tip once every few drinks? or a tip with the drink and then the order? I want to let the waitress know I will be taking care of her in return for good service.

What is the best way to handle this?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Best way to tip waitresses to get better service?

In my limited B&M experience, I've found it best to tip out half of what I was planning to spend on drinks right away. So if I'm planning to play for 6 or 7 hours, I'll tip 10 bucks or so right off the bat and then spread the rest of it out so that they don't forget about me.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:55 AM

my strategy when I want to get loaded

first drink I give her a redbird and give her a little wink and tell her to keep an eye on me

from then on every time she gives me a drink as part of her regular rotation she gets a white, when she goes out of her way for me she gets a red.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:00 AM

I like that strategy as well.

I'm iffy about tipping out all of it at the beginning because I don't want her to forget about me if the place should get packed and if there's a shift change, I'll have to start all over.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Tip a red on the first drink and say "this is for the next couple drinks." I'm assuming this is a place where most people tip $1 or nothing at all. If you're at the Bellagio or someplace where $5 is a common tip, you may have to do the same thing with a green.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've found it best to tip out half of what I was planning to spend on drinks right away. So if I'm planning to play for 6 or 7 hours, I'll tip 10 bucks or so right off the bat and then spread the rest of it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, I find the idea of spreading around $10 amusing
Old 12-11-2005, 08:13 PM

Just tell her you are on the get loaded plan and giver her 10 bucks right off the bat. In order to ensure continued service, tip 3-5 per drink after that.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:43 PM

WTF planet are you guys from?

$1 a drink with a polite thank you and maybe a "you have a really pretty smile" while appearing as though I am complimenting the cw, not hitting on her, are all it takes in Los Angeles and Las Vegas. I usually can't drink as fast as the cocktail waitress comes around.

Except for this one grouchy bitch that works in the $9-18 section at Commerce sometimes. Once an hour, no matter how much you tip and how nice you are. Thank god they put in the drink carts. The ladies pushing the drink carts are always super nice.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:17 PM

I'm another one who does a five spot right up front and then a buck for each drink after that. In vegas it is amazing how many tight ass people won't even give the waitress a tip. The five spot gets her attention and after the third drink or so she realizes shes getting paid a buck, or two if my wife is with me, each time she comes over. Let's see...guy who is not tipping...guy who is tipping...who do you think gets the attention?

Using this method has never failed, and often times, particularly downtown vegas, they will bring them faster than I can drink them.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:36 PM

clip a C-note to your zipper.