Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Bad sticky thread on folding KK preflop.

There is a locked sticky thread on whether it can be right to fold KK preflop. The thread proclaims an answer, that it can never be right to fold KK preflop in a SSNL game, with very poor justification. There is no way to respond on the thread, and no links to past discussions, some of which have been good. I expect better of 2+2.

[ QUOTE ]
For a total of 405 KK (that I got from PT) I have come up against AA only 9 (yes, NINE) times.

I think that finally kills off the "should I fold" threads.

[/ QUOTE ]
This does not show that you would be wrong to fold KK preflop. (It merely suggests that the player mainly plays 6-max games. You would expect almost 20 AA hands in full games.) The situations where you might consider folding KK preflop look very different from the typical hands in which you have KK.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Situation A: You feel you have a tight image at a full NL $100 table, and have the table covered. A nonmaniac who normally raises to $4 raises to $5 UTG. You reraise to $20. The UTG player pushes for $150 more.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Situation B: There is a limper in EP. You raise in MP. Everyone folds.

The typical hands where you have KK look like situation B. There were about 400 of those. There might have been 3 hands like situation A, and in all 3 of those, the player had AA. That your opponents didn't have AA in situation B tells you nothing about whether to fold KK in situation A. By the way, in the last 6 times I've looked up players in something resembling situation A at NL $100, the player had AA 5 times.

If you choose not to follow this reasoning, you may continue to crush the NL $25 games. However, you will be stunting the development of mental tools necessary for getting the most out of tougher games where fewer players hate money.

Please get rid of that locked sticky thread. I won't post any more in this forum while that nonsense is there.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Bad sticky thread on folding KK preflop.

Unstickied.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:31 PM

Q: Okay, so I raise 4xBB preflop with Kings and the player to my immediate left raises. Then another player goes all in. Do I fold?

A: Depends on the opponents. Folding Kings preflop in fear of Aces isn't a liked topic in the forum. Here are some threads that deal with the subject of Kings Vs. potential Aces.

Click here, here, and here.

Sometimes laying Kings down preflop is correct. Most of the time it is not. There is roughly a 3.4% chance, at a full table, that your Kings are up against Aces. Make a decision and go with your instinct.

--

Does this entry not cover it pretty well in a short amount of time?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:32 PM

I totally agree and I wuz gonna say something similar (not quite as intelligently), but I found the previous thread to be locked as well. It's true almost all the time ur KK will be best...but only a few times will ppl be raising back at you like they want to get ur whole stack in (which I've almost never seen happen w/ QQ, JJ with a reasonable player)...and those situations tend to be AA or KK most of the time in my experience. And if you have the KK...then the other person will often have the rockets. I know I don't rereraise w/ QQ, JJ. I think it has served me well to fold KK sometimes, and they still can't fold it, I get their whole stack in, they don't get mine. Of course if you have a read it's a different situation. But I also like to play rather safely...for I am a college student with limited funds, and try not to gamble a WHOLE lot.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unstickied.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was fast! Thanks.

I wouldn't mind seeing a sticky thread on this subject, but I think it should be more complete.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:37 PM

I really think that the topic of folding KK pre-flop garners way too much attention in this forum. In order for it to even be a consideration, you neeed either incredibly deep stacks or a great read, and reads are really incredibly difficult to explain in a thread.

That said, I think that flooding this forum with "Should I fold KK pre-flop" threads is only going to add to numerous other thinly veiled bad beat threads which we now have a forum for.

The sticky was put up because in the last few days there have been a rash of these completely useless posts, and the fact that it has been discussed ad nauseam whether or not to fold KK pre-flop simply lead to a need to bring to attention the fact that it is accepted as common knowledge that it is almost never right to fold KK pre-flop.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In order for [folding KK preflop] to even be a consideration, you neeed either incredibly deep stacks or a great read,

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you don't. The example I gave of Situation A was a clear fold. Calling would be a huge error (the question is whether it would cost 1/2 buy-in or more), but the stacks were only 1.5 buy-ins and the read was only that the player was not a maniac.

I'm disappointed that the new sticky repeated theblitz's fallacy. I think sticky threads should be held to a higher standard, particularly on 2+2.

A flood of "bad beat"-type posts (when you have the odds to call with KK preflop or a set on the flop) would not discourage me from contributing to this forum. What does concern me is the lack of coherent discussion and clear thought.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In order for [folding KK preflop] to even be a consideration, you neeed either incredibly deep stacks or a great read,

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you don't. The example I gave of Situation A was a clear fold. Calling would be a huge error (the question is whether it would cost 1/2 buy-in or more), but the stacks were only 1.5 buy-ins and the read was only that the player was not a maniac.

I'm disappointed that the new sticky repeated theblitz's fallacy. I think sticky threads should be held to a higher standard, particularly on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, situation 1 is not a clear fold. If you had the tight image that you claimed to have, a thinking player likely would not push at you with AA because of the high likelihood that you would fold a very wide range of hands with which you would call against a reraise.

The fact of the matter is that folding KK pre-flop is a discussion which has been had far too often and has generated far too little discussion on this board to warrant any attention.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:22 PM

If the biggest leak in your game is that you fold KK pre-flop too much, then you really don't need to read the SSNL. I am sure that people are losing money for other reasons and it would be better for the forum as a whole to focus on those things.

Frankly, KK doesn't show up enough for us to spend so much time talking about it. People who want to spend time on that subject would do better the evaluate other parts of their game.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No, situation 1 is not a clear fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it is, according to my experiments.

[ QUOTE ]
If you had the tight image that you claimed to have, a thinking player likely would not push at you with AA because of the high likelihood that you would fold a very wide range of hands with which you would call against a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes no sense. Please reread the action. A tight player does not reraise with a wide range of hands. Whether he would always push with AA over my reraise is irrelevant.