Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Nut low, 2 pair, multiway scary board

http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?p...mp;hand=185682

I am curious as to if my turn pot was an okay move here, or if I should have checked and watched the action behind me.

Both callers are loose and tend to call with 1-way hands.

Heads-up I would be comfortable continuing to fire with this hand, but the minute I potted it in this multiway pot, I realized that I would not be comfortable with a repot. Since I got called twice, I weenied out and checked the river.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Nut low, 2 pair, multiway scary board

I'm learning Omaha 8, so take this for what it's worth...

I'd have slowed down on the turn. With 3 callers on the flop, it's pretty likely you are splitting the low with somebody and your high chances aren't good with both flush and straight draws.

Glad it worked out though. Maybe someone folded a straight?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:15 PM

First, on the flop, you have a number of players in the pot. Someone probably has a flush. I would have bet a bit smaller to encourage callers. I suppose you are trying to get non-nut flushes to lay it down. But you're betting into a large group of players. This is pretty risky to try to get a large group of players hoping they will lay down better hands. If they don't lay it down, then you want them to call so you can squiggle people on your nut low.

You have 3 other people on the turn and you bet large. I think this is too many to bluff into. If you were on the button and it got checked to you, then it might be worth it. But you made a flop bet, a bit on the large side for PL25, and it got called. Your high is most likely not any good. So you just have a low. Someone else may very well be sharing the low. And you lead out on the Turn. Well, maybe it will work. But it is risky. You really want to be heads-up betting large with this hand since you're guaranteed to at worst split the pot. Can you get 2 other players to fold by the force of your will and betting?? Maybe. If you get reraised on the turn, like you mentioned, you're and another player calls it, you're most likely being quartered.

I'd ask myself what was the likelihood of getting 2 other players to drop on the turn so it could be heads-up. If it wasn't that high (and being lead better puts you at a big disadvantage here--if you were button and it was checked around that would be a LOT better situation to make your bet).

The river I think you did right by backing off. Now you've gotten called twice and there's absolutely no reason to think you'll get anyone to drop now. The river is just a more drastic example of the turn. As it turned out the midplayer made a semi-bluff and got picked off.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:40 PM

Pot flop, pot turn, pot river. I see somewhere in the neighborhood of zero reasons to slow down.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:46 PM

Well, one reason might be something Ciaffone mentions in his book pot limit and no limit poker something like:

"Next time you bet large with only the nut low in pl08 and get quartered and lose big bucks realize it wasn't just bad luck but your bad play that did it."
Old 12-12-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, one reason might be something Ciaffone mentions in his book pot limit and no limit poker something like:

"Next time you bet large with only the nut low in pl08 and get quartered and lose big bucks realize it wasn't just bad luck but your bad play that did it."

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you read the HH? Hero had two fking pair. That's pretty far from "only the nut low". Spladle is right, bet the fk out of this one.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback here, fellas. Good to see some nice discourse on this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you read the HH? Hero had two fking pair. That's pretty far from "only the nut low". Spladle is right, bet the fk out of this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that I had a full house redraw along with a hard-to-counterfeit low and a dead diamond is what made me fire hard at this pot in the first place. But I wussed out on the river and happened to get a lucky allin anyway.