Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 10:21 PM

Default Wireless Poker Playing: Does it Work Well?

I was thinking about getting a wireless notebook so I could play poker while in some other places around the house besides my regular computer spot. Does wireless work well for playing poker? I would usually only be playing one table.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Wireless Poker Playing: Does it Work Well?

I 4 table on a wireless laptop no problem [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 10:38 AM

Speed is not an issue, it securty. Just remember not matter what kind of encryption you use on your WiFi signal it can be intercepted and hacked. 128 bit encryption will only keep out the n00bs, a real hacker can break 128 bit. If you want security don’t gamble over a WiFi connection.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:09 AM

At the risk of stating the obvious .... you'll also need to get a wireless router. I swear, I had a friend who didn't understand why his wireless laptop could access the internet at his place of business but not at home.

These days, I assume that any laptop you get will be "11g" compatable or better. To get maximum speed, make sure you get an 11g router (rather than the slower 11b).

Hooking this up to your cable or DSL should be pretty easy.

Another alternative, if you get good cell phone reception where you are is to buy a card that uses the cell phone network, along with a monthly subscription for the internet for your laptop. This is the LATEST thing. However, I personally have no knowledge as to how good this service is, and I suspect it may vary location by location.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:25 PM

In addition to the security concerns already mentioned...

The WiFI signal (11b, 11g and 11a) all have common household interference issues. Your cordless phone, your microwave, your clothes dryer, etc, etc can all cause no end of problems. Having plaster walls is a problem.

So if you are going to give it a shot, do not spead too much money on the access point and make sure you read up and secure it as best as you can and also make sure the PC is secured.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:21 PM

All good things to add Percula. Dont get me wrong, other than gambling, home banking and shopping I use my WIFI for just about everything else.

I got around the cordless phone issue by getting the new Motorolla phones. You can tell the phone which WIFI channel you are using and have the phone never switch to it. Very handy.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:38 PM

Isn't it a neat concept? Sending money across space invisibly. Its like tangible wealth is meaningless.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... you'll also need to get a wireless router. ... These days, I assume that any laptop you get will be "11g" compatable or better. To get maximum speed, make sure you get an 11g router (rather than the slower 11b

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Ken,
I have Verizon Broadband Hi-Speed DSL (1.5/768 I think) and Verizon provides a 327W Westell Versalink combination Modem/Router/Hub. It has several ethernet ports and does wireless also, but I haven't ever tried the wireless part.

I don't know which "11" designation it supports, but I suspect it is probably up to date with the current common standards. I'll look into that though. I was considering looking for a used laptop as I only intend to use it for playing poker while washing the dishes, folding laundry or puttering around the workshop etc. I'll keep that 11b vs. 11g thing in mind.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:19 PM

I was considering looking for a used laptop as I only intend to use it for playing poker while washing the dishes, folding laundry or puttering around the workshop etc.

is this wise? Those chores are quite distracting and can take up a lot of your attention. Unless you're playing .5/1 or 1/2 or something i guess...
Old 12-06-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speed is not an issue, it securty. Just remember not matter what kind of encryption you use on your WiFi signal it can be intercepted and hacked. 128 bit encryption will only keep out the n00bs, a real hacker can break 128 bit. If you want security don’t gamble over a WiFi connection.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi acme,

I currently have an ethernet LAN that I would continue to use to make any deposits, withdrawals or other account activities. Are there any security issues on a WIFI if I'm just logging on to a site and playing? If so, what would they be?