Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-06-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Was Steve Martin ever funny?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, in reference to the recent George Carlin special. Easily the worst Carlin routine ever. ...... This recent one didn't seem like comedy at all. It seemed like he was more interested in just talking about current events.

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid to see him in August (Vegas) and he announced this was the routine he was going to do for an HBO special. He was pwned by the opening comic. After about 20 minutes, people started to leave the theatre. Worst performance I ever seen!!! It was embarrassing how few times people laughed. I think I laughed one time and it was at a comment my brother made that funnier than Carlin's punch line [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, in reference to the recent George Carlin special. Easily the worst Carlin routine ever. ...... This recent one didn't seem like comedy at all. It seemed like he was more interested in just talking about current events.

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid to see him in August (Vegas) and he announced this was the routine he was going to do for an HBO special. He was pwned by the opening comic. After about 20 minutes, people started to leave the theatre. Worst performance I ever seen!!! It was embarrassing how few times people laughed. I think I laughed one time and it was at a comment my brother made that funnier than Carlin's punch line [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlin was once the funniest comic working. He is now a ranting old man. Sort of a shame.

He did an interview where he talked about how he didn't feel he had to get a laugh a minute anymore, that he felt he could stretch his jokes out a bit and go for a big laugh at the end. I thought that was a really self-serving rationalization from a guy that just wasn't that funny anymore. I haven't watched the new HBO special, a friend of mine says it's just more of the same.

Regarding Steve Martin, one of the coolest things about Steve Martin when he was big in the 70's was the range of people that liked him. His absurdist humor appealed to smart and dumb people, to hippies and conservatives, to Doctors and trailer trash. (I've heard; I was born in '75, so I don't really know firsthand.)

And for all the talk about the Jerk, I think his funniest movie may have been "All Of Me." Jesus, what a riot that movie is.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:08 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
Also, in reference to the recent George Carlin special. Easily the worst Carlin routine ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

"i'm processed, undercooked, medium-sized, super-sized, downsized, upgraded, downloaded, polymer-enhanced, bite-sized WILL SOMEBODY JUST SHOOT ME IN THE [censored] HEAD THIS ROUTINE SUCKS"
Old 12-06-2005, 05:30 PM

All of Me was very funny and seems to have slipped off everybody's radar. Kind of surprises me, but I think it's just that most younger people, which is most of OOT, don't really like watching movies that are very old, for the most part. They're mostly anchored very firmly in the present, for better or worse.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:36 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

back in the bowl

*flush* RRRRRING

i watched that a million years ago, but all of me is the only steve martin movie i guess i quote (when talking with my dad)
Old 12-06-2005, 05:41 PM

Yeah, All of Me - very intelligent, pretty funny
The Jerk - okay
Roxanne - was okay
The Man with Two Brains - Awesome!
Three Amigos - good
Planes Trains and Automobiles - okay
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - okay (Michael Caine was better)

the rest were meh or okay but he wasn't particularly outstanding.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:50 PM

I'd rate PT&A, DRS, and Roxanne higher than you do. Though Roxanne did have a bit of syrupyness that made my teeth hurt. Three Amigos I've never seen, but I've heard a lot of bad things about it.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, in reference to the recent George Carlin special. Easily the worst Carlin routine ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

"i'm processed, undercooked, medium-sized, super-sized, downsized, upgraded, downloaded, polymer-enhanced, bite-sized WILL SOMEBODY JUST SHOOT ME IN THE [censored] HEAD THIS ROUTINE SUCKS"

[/ QUOTE ]

After that, I did feel like I just ate 4 sticks of butter.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Leap of Faith is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leap of Faith was ruined for me because so much of it was stolen, uncredited, from James Randi's book The Faith Healers. Randi didn't get dime one for it.

(The Faith Healer's is the book where Randi talks about how he exposed religious fraud Peter Popoff. Sadly enough, the country is so filled with credulous morons that Popoff has regained his audience.)