Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Where do you give up? Blind wars at 20/40.

Folding here as SOP seems highly exploitable and -EV. I think you have to call down a good % of the time.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
id cap preflop but i would just peel this flop. 7:1 plus implied odds is enough to peel 6 outs that probably arent tainted with metagame considerations.. he may also check the turn giving you another card to look at.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-04-2005, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding here as SOP seems highly exploitable and -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's only highly exploitable and -EV if you have KQ every time there's a J42 flop OOP against this guy. Next time you won't have KQ and he'll get punished.

C'mon guys...this metagame thing is soooooo over-rated.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's only highly exploitable and -EV if you have KQ every time there's a J42 flop OOP against this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a showdownable hand and pretty close to near even money. I think you should be willing to showdown hands like these vs the right crew. My remarks were not directed to Meta, and I agree that sometimes we focus too much on Meta and we get tired of hearing about it. However, I think Meta is mos def a consideration when discussing BLIND WARS.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:38 AM

yeah I dont really like folding a decent showdownable hand in these situations. Your effective odds basically put a call down at breakeven if u win 28-29 percent. With such a wide range, with odds of improvement...I think there is merit calling down more than some deem nessasary.

This also depends on opponent, obviously. If they are willing to fire all 3 bullets, or contiunation bet only to the turn...if they are willing to fold, what have I seen them do...etc. These situations are delicate.

On a side note. This situation came up pretty often today and a majority of the time my K or A-high was enough to win it (even Q-high)...but I almost always had the best hand, unfortunattly they caught their rivered six outers frequently.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:56 AM

The hand is showdownable against LAGgier types, I'll agree. But marginally showdownable. Calling down every single time, even against this guy, will cost money and be -EV. IMO, shania can't turn the (-) into a (+) here.

We may be close to even money in theory, but don't forget, this guy gets to choose when to put the bets in while we're OOP. Although we may be a coin toss from here on out, ANY discretion that this guy uses behind us will pull us further away from 50/50.

The correct application of metagame & positive EV here is to showdown UI some of the time. Doing it every time is a guaranteed loss.