Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-02-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Where do you give up? Blind wars at 20/40.

Folded to you in the SB. BB is a 50/20 LAG very common at the 20/40 Party scene.

You have KQo, and raise. He 3-bets you; you imagine he'd do this with a very, very wide variety of holdings (any pocket, any ace, probably anything T9o and up and maybe even some worse hands.)

Flop comes J42r. What is your plan?

Some (useless) results after I hear your thoughts.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Where do you give up? Blind wars at 20/40.

I just fold cuz im a little bitch. A c/r will never move him off, he will bet every single street, making it max expensive for me to call down, and im behind the majority of his holdings now anyway.

I uber hate these spots, and my WR is prolly a direct reflection of how poorly I handle them [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 04:14 PM

I hate this too. I think you can peel one atleast. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Then when you got a real hand you go to war. And I mean war.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:26 PM

id cap preflop but i would just peel this flop. 7:1 plus implied odds is enough to peel 6 outs that probably arent tainted with metagame considerations.. he may also check the turn giving you another card to look at.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:28 PM

if he has been getting out of line, and it sounds he is always out of line, i would cap preflop.

otherwise i peel one and fold the turn. what else can you do?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:32 PM

Based on your description of his possible holdings, I think you need to cap this preflop. Also, I think you need to be calling this one down on a J42r board. I can't imagine a better board to call down on with KQo against the player you describe. I'm surprised most people are folding this on the turn.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:37 PM

If you're not comfortable calling him down on a lot of boards here you need to cap for value + initiative and try and run him over, particularily if he's kind of weak post-flop.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:39 PM

another option is to limp reraise pf. now you gain initiative with less bets going in pf. hmmm, i think im gonna do this more.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:52 PM

Glad to see everyone is confused as I am.

I wonder whether capping and then check/calling down UI is a completely and totally insane idea. All I know is that I've been spewing a lot of chips without seeing a showdown lately in situations like these.

What happened was, of course, I checkraised the flop, got 3-bet, and check/folded the turn UI. He probably had a pocket or a weak ace, and I probably saved myself a bet (but maybe passed up 6 outs on the river). Hate these situations, because I see aggression here with utter crap a LOT of the time. Hell, I do it myself sometimes . . . and then miss and end up getting screwed then too [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].
Old 12-02-2005, 04:54 PM

sometimes I cap preflop, and take it from there. The problem is that many of these guys will put a raise in on the flop with A-hi(regardless of kicker) so I don't really like putting that many bets in PF with a hand like KQ which, while strong, I am not going to be able to profitably take to showdown.

I'm going to try out the LRR thing that Victor mentioned, it's good in a theoretical sense but if it doesn't slow the guy down postflop i'm not sure what the answer is... as one poster said, you really have to go to war once you get a hand(2nd pair+) because they pay you off soooo good. but KQ-hi isn't the spot to do it IMO. In the situation described I'll peel one and then c/f the turn. If I turn a good drawing card (gutshot etc) occasionally i'll c/r the turn if I think his range is mostly unpaired cards.

Surf