Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-30-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: One year ago today, I...

One year ago:
-4 tabling the $33s for a ROI ~20% and ITM 40% (I play to get first :P)
-Hot 19" CRT and crappy HP Laptop at times.
-Was interviewing for jobs, and started working on my Computer Science Masters Thesis at MIT
-Read SS1, ToP, and other Sklansky books
-Poker BR of approx. ~$15K
-only knew one 2P2er: Eevee
-Heard about rakeback, but didn't bother with it
-Came to 2P2 to read, but not post

Now:
-10-table the $55s (9-table now with the Party Beta)
-2001FP and some crappy 17" LCD that came with my Dell
-Graduated with Masters Degree, working in NY as trader
-BR is comfortable as a side income [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
-Still only know one 2P2er
-Rakeback is g00t
-Post here during days, love the Sports and OOT forum for sheer hilarity.

In one year I hope to be:
-8-tabling the $109s
-Pooh-Bah or Carpal Tunnel?
-Meet more 2P2ers, hopefully
-maybe enter WSOP for some events
Old 11-30-2005, 02:35 PM

That's an impressive story and not at all what my impression was - regarding where you were a year ago.

I started playing a year ago. Very small.

In Feb I found this site through a google search.

Soon after I registered on this site. I continue to read more than I post...for obvious reasons (if you read my posts [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]). I started to play more often and improve my game.

In June I took a chance to improve my game on a radical scale. I sent a PM to a poster I respected above all others and he took pity on me. I knew then as well as now that I was very lucky in my timing and perhaps the way I made my humble request and he agreed to help this noob out. For that, I am eternally grateful to him, more than he could ever know.

June - Aug. I learned the fundamentals, studied and played. Went to Vegas in July during the ME. Avoided all 2ers except one - played way beyond my BR and made some very nice cash. Checked out some places to live during the WSOP next year. Had a good time overall.

Sept - Oct. I continued to play, study and work at my STT game. Began studying limit and MTT (which I'd studied before). My level of study increased in quantity and quality - thanks in a bizarre way to Party for the split of the skins. Began playing sat's and STTs on Stars. Built a very nice bankroll on that site through my new and improved STT play and winning lots of T$ in the sats.

November - Opened an account for the first time on Party. "Completed" my "formal" education on 800 chip STTs (according to the above mentioned favorite poster). Living with some horrendous variance as I re-adjust to the 800 chip game. I am now the definition of confidently frustrated. Have studied harder this month than any previous month although I've put LHE and MTT study on hold.

For the New Year: I am confident I will make some huge strides in BR building and moving up the buy-in chain. I will be fulfilling my obligations to my favorite poster. I will fund my return to the WSOP through my online and live tourney play over the next 6 months. I intend to spend a good part of the summer in Vegas. My plan and goals for the next 6 months by game:

Limit - successful at online 1/2 limit 2-4 tables. Study, study, study.

STT - Be a winning player live and online up to the $33s online and $300 live. Study, study, study.

MTT - Mix live and online MTT play $5 - $300 buyins in prep. for the WSOP. Study, study, study. I plan to play in at least 2 events in the WSOP, possibly more. Cash in at least one event.

What I'm happy about:

- How lucky I was to get the friend and mentor I have.
- How much I've learned and continue to learn.
- How I play now compared with 6 months ago.
- How much my wife supports my play.
- Having found 2+2 when I did.
- How much there is still to learn.
- My MTT game to date... but still not playing enough.
- How I deal with variance now compared with 6 months ago.

What I'm still not happy about:

- My BR
- The progress I've made in terms of $ overall.
- The buyin level I'm stuck at.
- The progress I've made in improving my STT game.
- Being in a position to fulfill my obligation to my favorite poster due to my slower than expected progress.
- Having to put off LHE to improve my STT game.
- Never having the chance to meet most of you.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:43 PM

A year ago:

I had several major leaks.

Now:

I still have leaks, quite possibly some fewer than a year ago.

At least I have made quite a bit of money looking for them.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold AQ probably more than anyone who posts here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Impossible.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:50 PM

wondered why my buddy didn't play Kx soooooooooted

and... made my first and only deposit into Party

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

still got a long ways to go
Old 11-30-2005, 02:53 PM

One Year Ago

<ul type="square">[*]Had never played a hand of poker[*]Got hooked on WPT and WSOP TV coverage and decided I would like to try it out[/list]
Since then

<ul type="square">[*]Purchased HoH1 early in January (it was the first book I came across when I went looking)[*]Found 2+2 from the back cover of HoH[*]Deposited $400 on Stars, started single-tabling the $5.50's, and have since worked my bankroll up to be sufficient for the $55's[*]In April, earned my way through the Act satellites at Foxwoods (for $60) and won a $5,000 seat for the NEPC main event[*]Got to play the final table of the Act III satellite with fossilman and moved all in on his BB from the SB with A,4. He thought for a long time and called with.... A,4. (We split that pot and eventually both won tickets for the ME)[*]Met a bunch of 2+2's at the Western MA forum tournaments[*]Have become friendly with many others via the Stars Trout events[*]Recently purchased a 2001fp and started 4-tabling (back at the $11s for this)[*]Finally made an online MTT final table after bubbling out the first 3 times I got close to one[/list]
Plans for 2006 <ul type="square">[*]Keep learning and having fun[*]Host a 2+2 tournament at my house next summer[/list]
Old 11-30-2005, 02:56 PM

A year ago:

I'd made 10K from playing poker and thought I was awesome.

Today:

I've made 40K in a 4 day span and don't think I'm that awesome.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:19 PM

About a year ago today
It became obvious that I could no longer afford to play recreationally with my daughter starting college. While at the same time reaching my, since sustained, pinnacle of having to play this game I love.

Moved from UB to PP with a handsome 10 buy-in bankroll, determined to ‘start being good now’ – despite not a clue as what that meant or how to do so. Oblivious to short-handed/chipped theorems, finding all the pushing ridiculous, I moved to PS where I could still min-raise with pretty big cards.

Found 2p2 in January, performing random Google searches at work. I was truly inspired and humbled with what I found. A poker community existing on a plane that was completely incomprehensible to me at the time. One of those – not knowing what was missing until it was found moments.

Just knowing that there was a mean to get to the end was all it took. During the almost four months it took me to find the courage to post, I was reaching a point in my development where thoughts of where to find my next deposit were no more.

Playing just a couple hours at night, I have been able to effectively give myself a 20% pay raise this year. Fully funding my daughters education, my golf addiction, and much more.

Equal to the monetary gains have been the friendships I’ve made (Yugo included!). Though I won’t be meeting my first 2p2’er until February, this forum has been an invaluable social outlet for me. My poker time is now much more than clicking buttons from the couch after dark. My youngest is quite impressed that I have 20 or so people in my AIM buddy list – pretty cool for a 39 year old, or so she says [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Next year? Continued learning, continued friendships…maybe a 30% pay raise!
Old 11-30-2005, 03:30 PM

this time last year:

I wasnt playing much online poker, mainly nl home cash games. I thought $33 was a huge buy in. If I ever had more than $200 in my account I would cash out.

Last spring I made a deposit and vowed that It would be my last

started playing exclusively sngs

started reading this forum every day and was amazed that people could play more than 2 tables at a time

thought Raptor was some kind of poker god

Now:

I have 2 2001fps and 8 table the 22/33's on party (hopefully start 10 tabling w/ the new miniview)

Finally quit my $9 hr part time job so I can hopefully play more and start playing more cash games

havent met or really talked to anyone on here but I dont really post much
Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 PM

Bluefeet, BTW, is one of the nicest guys on these boards. Don't know if its the midwest thing, or that with age comes humility...(actually the latter isnt true because I'm getting up there, and well...).

A real good asset to the forum.

Ok enough ass kissing...