Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 01:14 PM

Default QJo EMP in a Tightish Game

AVG vpip at the table over 90 hands or so is about 20. SB is the only loose player. 40/10/3 type of dude. I started raising offsuit broadway from EMP after I saw it folded around a few times. Getting ready to switch tables when:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Spewage? Limp preflop even at tight tables? Fold to the turn 3-bet? Two overs and a gutshot makes the flop call ok if all my outs are clean. I can't give an exact range on what the SB 3-bets with out of the small blind but given I was playing aggressively it's probably something like TT+,A9s+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,A9o+. Too wide? I think even against that range I'm toast.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: QJo EMP in a Tightish Game

[ QUOTE ]
AVG vpip at the table over 90 hands or so is about 20. SB is the only loose player. 40/10/3 type of dude. I started raising offsuit broadway from EMP after I saw it folded around a few times. Getting ready to switch tables when:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (4.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Spewage? Limp preflop even at tight tables? Fold to the turn 3-bet? Two overs and a gutshot makes the flop call ok if all my outs are clean. I can't give an exact range on what the SB 3-bets with out of the small blind but given I was playing aggressively it's probably something like TT+,A9s+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,A9o+. Too wide? I think even against that range I'm toast.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think your range is way too wide - most players that are too loose and are generally bad don't pay attention to what you are doing. i'm pretty sure his 3-bet is not a reflection of your past aggressive play. i think you're looking at AJs+, AQo+, and 99+ many times here (from the sb).

i'd usually just call down from the turn on to see.

(i like the pf raise at the position and table you describe)
Old 11-29-2005, 01:22 PM

I raise the flop. You have position, a relatively strong hand, and you could use a cheap card on the turn. If three-bet on the flop I'd call and fold unimproved on the turn. Is raising this flop terrible?

As you played it, I think this isn't too bad. It sucks getting three-bet as it just screams overpair, but you still have to call with your gutshot plus trips/two pair draw. I also make the crying call on the river.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:23 PM

1. find a new table. Table selection will help improve your WR. Loose-ish tables at 2/4 shouldn't be hard to find.
2.It's not like you opened from CO on an obvious steal attempt. MP1 raise usually means business, so he's usually not 3-betting too light. You will usually see TT+, or AK/AQ, with pocket pairs being at least as likely as AK/AQ (probably moreso)
3.I like the turn raise if you can fold to a 3-bet. Getting him to fold AK is very nice for you here. However, with the gutshot + 2 pair/trips draw, you can't fold to the 3-bet because now you've bloated the pot. Call turn and call river.

This is a pretty good time to take a WA/WB line.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:25 PM

Is raising and then folding to a 3-bet a big no-no preflop?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:25 PM

grunch

call preflop

as you played it call flop

just call turn and river
Old 11-29-2005, 01:26 PM

Preflop: It seems to me like this is a little bit too early to be open raising w/ this hand. I think it's OK to do at this table, but I'd probably want to be a seat or two closer to the button personally.

Flop: Agreed the odds merit a call

Turn: I think the turn raise is ok given this guy's AF. He could easily be coming after you w/ A8, A6, etc. He's raised 9 of the 90 hands you've seen him play, so my guess is that he's raising any Ace or King preflop. You could have him beat here, so I think a raise is ok.

River: I think a crying call is merited here w/ top pair heads up.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:28 PM

I would have to say it is. Even at low limits playing against people w/ far lower skill level than you, I think they are going to notice something as big as a raise/fold preflop. You'll be a target for the rest of the session.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:29 PM

Preflop: I like the play at this table, as long as you don't feel like anybody's picking up on it (tables this tight at 2/4 usually make me think there's at least one or two good players seated).

Flop: two overcards, backdoor straight and flush draws, HU with Mr. Laggro, g00t peel.

Turn: ok, you've got top pair, now, but that card puts another flush draw on the board, and potentially completes a straight. Just call down, your FE is nonexistent, and being 3-bet by this player shouldn't be enough to let you fold.

River: you'll see AK/AT/etc here often enough to look him up.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is raising and then folding to a 3-bet a big no-no preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. preflop in limit holdem you shouldn't raise and fold for one more bet. folding for 2 more bets can be perfectly acceptable.