Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 06:15 PM

Default A limit habit I think I need to break ($600 NL)

3-handed 3/6. Button is bad but not in this hand. SB seems like a good, thinking player, capable of laying hands down and not a bluffer.

Coming from a limit background I am used to defending my BB w/ nearly any two agaisnt an SB raise. I know defending the blinds isn't as big of a deal in NL, and I fold more hands than in limit. 97 is probably the worst unsuited one gapper I would call in this position, but I feel it still may be bad.

I have $600 and villian covers.

Villian probably open raises 30% of his hands on the SB here. He will fold if he doesn't want to play (never completes.)

Button folds, SB raises to 18, I call w/ 97o.

Flop is Ks 6c 5s. Villian bets 25, I raise to 75.

Maybe this hand is a little boring, but am I just investing too much money with a crappy hand and a gutter on a flush draw board in my blind defense? I feel villian will never continue here without some kind of hand, but he's probably not folding most pairs or 8+ out draw here.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: A limit habit I think I need to break ($600 NL)

I tend to fold or reraise a lot, I'm not a big fan of just calling, just my style though. As far as the hand in question if he's folding or raising only 30% of the time I fold 9,7o.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:24 PM

6 handed or full game? In instances like this I like to look at the villian's went to showdown and won $ at showdown %s, assuming you have a decent amount of hands on him. Gives you a read on how likely he is to continue on with a top pair / underpair hand.

I think you need to plan this hand out - raising the flop is fine, if you think you can steal it, but what's your move on the turn (assuming blank)? You going to throw another 100-150 out there on a stone cold bluff? I'm attempting to work on this also, but in this instance I don't see a plan and while maybe you took it down on the flop, if you don't have a plan for the turn, I don't think it's a long term good play.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6 handed or full game?

[/ QUOTE ]
Its 3 handed as OP said
Old 11-28-2005, 07:02 PM

This flop raise looks a lot like a bluff to a thinking player. What hand are you representing? Would you really raise a KJ here?

Much stronger to just call and take the pot away on the turn. Although if he's got absolutely nothing he might just give up on the flop.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:48 PM

The flop is fine if you raise a huge range there, and generally play fast. If you'd flat call with a K or two pair, the raise is not good.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop is fine if you raise a huge range there, and generally play fast. If you'd flat call with a K or two pair, the raise is not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally fast play two pair+ here, hoping he 3-bets with a draw or overpair.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6 handed or full game? In instances like this I like to look at the villian's went to showdown and won $ at showdown %s, assuming you have a decent amount of hands on him. Gives you a read on how likely he is to continue on with a top pair / underpair hand.

I think you need to plan this hand out - raising the flop is fine, if you think you can steal it, but what's your move on the turn (assuming blank)? You going to throw another 100-150 out there on a stone cold bluff? I'm attempting to work on this also, but in this instance I don't see a plan and while maybe you took it down on the flop, if you don't have a plan for the turn, I don't think it's a long term good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have any stats on him. We'd just been playing together for about 30 minutes 3-handed and I was 1-tabling, winding up the night, and felt I had a good read on him.

My plan was, if he just called, I would check the turn and try to hit my 4-outer. I felt the flop raise would take it down alot -- and if called, I at least would usually buy myself a free card (I had yet to see him donk a turn.)

Another barrel might me right, however. I doubt he would continue w/ a pair worse than a K.