Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-28-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: 3/5NL Live: River Trips Faces Big Overbet

Anyways, I wussed out and folded. He showed me one card: an 8. My mind may be playing tricks on me but it didn't look like had to check which card to flip over to make sure he was showing me the 8 but who knows... Thanks for the helpful posts.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:08 PM

Boo. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Sorry man, tough spot. It's such a weird line for him to take with a good hand that I would have called. But I can definitely see the other factors like the capped buyin making it seem like a fold in the heat of the moment.

Edit: He may have had 78 and didn't care whether he showed you the 8 or the 7.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:25 PM

Yeah it was a terrible spot. Only recent obtained the bankroll to play this high so I may have out thought myself though I don't think it's an easy call by any means.

I got owned but it was insightful. It made me spend some time thinking about whether he put me on air and just wanted to take the opportunity to piss on my leg or if he really thought I was capable of laying down a Q. I'm pretty sure it was the former. Anyways, happy ending is that I didn't steam and booked a nice win.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:31 PM

You have to be right about 50% of the time here. You haven't shown any strength, and he can't really put you on a Q because of it. If he has a set-rivered-boat, he sure played it strangely.

Calls
Old 11-28-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah it was a terrible spot. Only recent obtained the bankroll to play this high so I may have out thought myself though I don't think it's an easy call by any means.

I got owned but it was insightful. It made me spend some time thinking about whether he put me on air and just wanted to take the opportunity to piss on my leg or if he really thought I was capable of laying down a Q. I'm pretty sure it was the former. Anyways, happy ending is that I didn't steam and booked a nice win.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI: I had made a comment asking if he owned you in one of my replies. Based on how the hand turned out I do not consider that being evidence that he 'owned you.' If you pushed and he had a full house it would have been a very strong indication (him reading you for a strong hand and playing his hand tricky and getting your stack with a big overbet). The way it played, for all I know, he had queens up and thought he had the best hand. If he had a full house and you got away from it cudos to you.

It's hard to figure out what he was doing without knowing the dynamics of the past hands at the table/between you two.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:44 PM

yeah thanks for the feedback. it's a very player dependant type situation and I only posted it because I wanted to compare my thought process in this spot to other 2p2ers.