Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-27-2005, 09:56 PM

Default AKs gets HU: Aggro enough?

Crypto Hold'em FL ($1/$2) No read

PREFLOP: TB is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] , K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
TB raises, 2 folds, Button raises, Blinds fold, TB calls.

FLOP: (7SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] , 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] , 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2players)
TB bets, B raises, TB re-raises , B calls.

TURN: (6.5BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
TB: checks
Old 11-27-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: AKs gets HU: Aggro enough?

cap before the flop. when he 3-bets preflop and raises the flop, do you think you have enough equity to 3-bet? if his range is similar to AA/KK/QQ/JJ/TT/AQ/KQ, i don't think you do.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:05 PM

First of all I would cap this preflop.

I think 3 betting the flop is too much. Villian's raise means he likes his hand and doesn't want to lay it down. You would like to take this hand to showdown even if you don't improve by the river and you would like to do it as cheaply as possible.

I would just call the flop raise then call turn and river bets. I think your opponent is going to showdown something like AJ or AT often enough for this to be profitable. Of course if you hit one of your outs you should try and get a c/r in.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:06 PM

Yeah, I don't understand 3-betting the flop unless you are going to continue betting the turn and try to work him off TT/JJ/AK.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I don't understand 3-betting the flop unless you are going to continue betting the turn and try to work him off TT/JJ/AK.

[/ QUOTE ]
Makes sense. I think this was bothering me when I reviewed it, but I didn't put my finger on it.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:14 PM

cap preflop, call flop raise. flop 3 bet could be for value in a multiway pot with loose players, but not in this HU pot where your opponent has a slim range. checkraise turn/river if you hit a flush. fold the river unimproved. if a K or an A hits on the turn/river ... hmm. i don't know what to do. anyone want to take a stab? i'd prob. check raise and pay off like a slot machine if 3 bet [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

PREFLOP: TB is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] , K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
TB raises, 2 folds, Button raises, Blinds fold, TB calls.

FLOP: (7SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] , 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] , 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2players)
TB bets, B raises, TB re-raises , B calls.

TURN: (6.5BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
TB: checks

[/ QUOTE ]

Always cap preflop HU with AK shorthanded. Bet/call the flop. Bet the turn again if he doesn't raise the flop. Its highly unlikley your getting out of this w/o SD. Only hands you want to call down here with is another AK or AJ-AT.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">TB raises</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">Button 3-bets</font>, Blinds fold, TB calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP CAP PREFLOP

Baby Jesus just cried.

Why didn't you just follow through on the turn? Check-call the turn after 3-betting the flop is just weird. What were you thinking?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:11 AM

cap preflop and the hand plays out differently. I probably lead turn.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:17 AM

Cap preflop or checkraise the flop.

There are several good strategies for capping preflop when headsup, but I believe that autocapping AA-QQ, AK, possibly AQ, and no others is not one of them versus a sentient opponent. The 2+2 forums' standard dogmatic advice on capping doesn't actually make any sense unless you like playing with your hand face up.

You have a lot of pot equity so the flop 3-bet is OK but only if you intend to bet the turn and try to drive him off another AK. Getting raised on the turn is not so bad because at least you now know you don't need to call the river when you whiff.

It's dangerous to make sweeping judgments based on one hand, but I'm sure what I'm about to say applies to someone who is reading this so it won't be a waste.

The turn is the second street in a row where you made a play that has no obvious connection to the previous street. One of my current self-improvement areas is thinking about poker hands as a whole and developing appropriate strategies that address the whole hand. Calling the preflop 3-bet is fine if it's part of an actual plan that addresses likely postflop scenarios. It's less good if you just made it up and have no idea what comes next. 3-betting the flop is OK if it's part of a plan like stealing the pot or value betting the best hand (it's possible, there are certain Villains that only raise to bluff in this situation). But 3-betting the flop and checking the turn says to me that there was no plan and you effectively started over when the blank turn hit.

Note that this type of hand planning is pretty strictly advance preparation. Only a few rare talents improvise well without having done their homework.