Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Organ Donor
No 32 37.65%
Yes 53 62.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: If not \"Two Beers, Officer\", then what?

It always helps to not drive like a jackass in the first place. Cops might be dicks, but there is almost always some visible reason why you are being pulled over. If you have had "a couple beers," just focus on driving straight and within 5 mph of the speed limit. Make sure all your car's equipment is in order (broken tail lights, headlight out, etc. gives them an excuse to pull you over).

If they do pull you over, just lie and say you haven't had anything to drink. Try really hard not to slur your speach when you say it. "A couple beers" or ANYTHING along those lines is most certainly the wrong answer.

I've never had to deal with the field sobriety tests or the breathalizer, because I don't drive like a jackass, even when I've had a few in me.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:14 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: The simple answer

[ QUOTE ]
How about you just don't drink and drive, [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-20-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about "it's possible to drink socially without impairing your driving ability," "[censored]?"

Milo, have you ever had an alcoholic beverage? Were you automatically smashed after drinking one?

How about two?

If you know your limit, and you are below it, why should you have to jump through legal hoops just to get home at 2 in the morning when there are barely any cars out without having your license suspended?

No need to insult me. Yeah, I've driven with more than 1 beer in me, but I drive better at 0.07999999 BAC than most South Floridians drive at 0.00. If you've ever driven here, you'll know that this applies to most people.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have said this too. Bravo.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
could the fact that you said you had nothing be used against you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be 100% certain, but I've never heard of anything happening.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
could the fact that you said you had nothing be used against you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be 100% certain, but I've never heard of anything happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You weren't under oath. You had not been read your Miranda rights yet.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This could easily explain to the cop the reason he might smell "bar" on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how would you explain the alcohol on your breathe?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you talk to a cop with alcohol on your breath, then you are a moron. This is what gum/mints/whatever is for.

I'm not talking about popping 10 mints in your mouth right after you get pulled over because that would be obvious, but it doesn't hurt to have some in your car and pop a couple when you're leaving the bar.

Anyways, it's not sexy to a girl to smell beer on your breath. I almost always chew gum when out drinking. The key is cinnamon gum... it works for smell and it doesn't change the taste of your drinks.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about "it's possible to drink socially without impairing your driving ability," "[censored]?"

Milo, have you ever had an alcoholic beverage? Were you automatically smashed after drinking one?

How about two?

If you know your limit, and you are below it, why should you have to jump through legal hoops just to get home at 2 in the morning when there are barely any cars out without having your license suspended?

No need to insult me. Yeah, I've driven with more than 1 beer in me, but I drive better at 0.07999999 BAC than most South Floridians drive at 0.00. If you've ever driven here, you'll know that this applies to most people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I would be impaired after one or two drinks. Most people would not.

If you get pulled over and have had only two, then all you will need to do is pass the breath test and the field sobriety tests. If you can, then there's no reason to have to figure out what to tell the cop. If you can't then you deserve to go to jail.

The problem is, studies of drinking and driving show that people grossly underestimate their level of impairment, and grossly overestimate how much they drink and still drive safely. People also underestimate how much they have been drinking. Many of those who say "two beers, officer," truly believe it, even when a breath/blood test clearly demonstrates they have had many more.

Bottom line, alcohol impairs judgment. Left to make the decision on your own, one of three things will be happen:
1) You will be non-impaired, and will be safe to drive, therefore you will correctly judge yourself safe; or

2) You will be impaired and unsafe to drive, will recognize this and not drive; or

3) You will be impaired, and since judgment (part of executive function, the first brain activity to be impacted by alcohol) is also impaired, you will incorrectly judge yourself to be non-impaired and will drive.

We are now back to my simple answer.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you completely LIE and say "I haven't had a drop of alcohol?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And I've seen it work.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you shouldn't be drunk and drive, but never driving if you've had a couple of drinks isn't possible for most people. It's easy enough if you live somewhere with a good public transportation system, but this isn't the case with most cities.