Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Finding a good cpa

I live in NY and need an accountant
I dont know anyone who gambles for a living so if anyone cqan reccomned a good accountant who is proficinet in gamblings laws for taxes I would appreciate it
If you do not know one specificilly what is the best way to find one?
Addiotionally he year is almost up and I would like to to be able to find out all of the tax breaks I can get by starting IRA's etc (my sole source of income is gambling)
I assume that to qualify for tax breaks for this year I would have to fund such accounts by december 31. Any help on this matter would also be appreciated.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Finding a good cpa

count me in as interested too
Old 11-18-2005, 01:40 PM

I also need an accountant in NYC. Can anyone recommend an accountant who is experienced with gambling or know of a way to search for one short of cold-calling a list of CPAs and asking about gambling?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:26 AM

I work as a staff accountant for a CPA firm in southern New Jersey and I would recommend looking at few things when choosing a CPA. One, I would make sure they've been around a few years. Yeah, someone could come out of school and start their own firm up but it's nice to have the comfort of knowing your CPA firm has been around awhile and will be around if the IRS starts sending you tax notices. Two, try and talk to one or two their clients if possible. If anyone can tell you how good/bad they are, it's definitely one of their clients. Finally, I'd suggest not being afraid to spend some money on a good one. I think the firm I work for charges about $350 (give or take) minimum for an individual's tax returns. This may seem like a lot, but when you think of all the money you could save (and headaches), I think it's worth it.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:42 PM

I havent been online f or a few days but basically for right now I havent found any who specialize in gamblind through word of mouth. For right now I atleast want somebody who atleast knows what sort of IRA,401 k etc type of contributions I can make before the end of the year to limit my tax liability when all of my income has been from poker.