Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: How to handle a pissed off dealer

next time you win a pot you should tip him. but throw the chip so that it splashes the his trey and then bounces up and hits him. Or you could just ask him what his fecking problem is. Up to you.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You know what, as a dealer i don't get upset if a player doesn't tip me on a pot. That seems real petty to me.

But as a player I don't get upset if the cards don't land directly in my hand and I have to reach out a little to get them. Seems really petty to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

And as a player, I think the "Dealers can do no wrong" posts from dealers don't help the situation.
Read his post.
It was clear that the dealer was tossing short.
Not as an accident.
Face facts. There are some incompetent, petty, rude, and otherwise "bad" dealers out there. And when dealers like you come to their defense, it shows that you really don't care about the job, just the tips.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You know what, as a dealer i don't get upset if a player doesn't tip me on a pot. That seems real petty to me.

But as a player I don't get upset if the cards don't land directly in my hand and I have to reach out a little to get them. Seems really petty to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

And as a player, I think the "Dealers can do no wrong" posts from dealers don't help the situation.
Read his post.
It was clear that the dealer was tossing short.
Not as an accident.
Face facts. There are some incompetent, petty, rude, and otherwise "bad" dealers out there. And when dealers like you come to their defense, it shows that you really don't care about the job, just the tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not defending the Dealer. I'm just pointing out that that having your cards dealt short is not quite the worst thing that can happen to you at a table.

My doing so is not an indication that I don't care about my job. I care greatly about doing my job to the best of my ability and my tips have suffered for that.

I've said the dealer here was being petty. The thing is that I've seen to many big problems come petty retailiation for petty carp. It starts to feed of itself and it grows. Last Saturday night I had a near brawl break out between three players over the most of things, but each had to have the last word. It seems to me much more productive to shrug of the petty passive aggressive crap that gets thrown at you then to even give it a second thought.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:32 PM

Default the worst thing that could happen...

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just pointing out that that having your cards dealt short is not quite the worst thing that can happen to you at a table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. The worst thing would be more like this...

You're happily playing along. The waitress is kinda foxy, and you're flirting a little with her. You're up a few bux, you've had a few beers. The colts are ahead, and you've got a bennie bet on them to win! Life is grand. Viva Las Vegas!

Then you get aces. You raise before the flop. You get reraised. Two calls, you make a HUGE reraise all-in, everyone calls. The BEST hand you're facing is J2o. The waitress winks at you...

WHAM!!!!! SOME FRIGGIN' JERK WEARING STEEL TOED BOOTS COMES ALONG AND KICKS YOU RIGHT IN THE NUTS!!!!

As an aside, your aces lose to Js2d, who hits runner-runner trip deuces.

The waitress then spills hot coffee in your lap, just in case your nuts weren't sore enough already. At almost the same time you find out she's a man-hating lesbian who was just working your sorry ass for tips. As you're writhing in agony on the floor, you see the jerkoff kicker for the other team make a last minute 59 yard field goal, EVEN THO THEIR TEAM WAS BEHIND BY EIGHTEEN POINTS, thus making certain that you DON'T "cover the spread."

Oh yeah, and they're out of your favorite brand of beer, so they bring you an O-douls. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al
Old 11-17-2005, 02:36 PM

Location: USS George washington, Virgina, 7 months until Los Angeles

piss him off more. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: the worst thing that could happen...

[ QUOTE ]
Nope. The worst thing would be more like this...

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFLMAO!

thnx, Al

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 02:53 PM

Please. I'm not tipping on a $12 pot either.

Jeff
Old 11-17-2005, 03:18 PM

I'm not sure why you sitffed him originally.

Like evrybody else pointed out, tiny pot. On a more basic point, since tipping is 100% voluntary, the dealer is way out of line for taking any adverse action.

I've posted this before, but I worked for a long time in the restaurant business and understand that tipping is important. However, when I managed restaurants the service staff understood one thing. If anyone did anything to make a customer feel uncomfortable because of how little was tipped, that employee would be fired immediately.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:28 PM

>>If anyone did anything to make a customer feel uncomfortable because of how little was tipped, that employee would be fired immediately. <<

Awesome dude. That's *exactly* what we need - a little less mollycoddling, and a little more nut-kicking.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:44 PM

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here and TOTALLY AGREE.

One thing I have noticed is that newer dealers, who deal mostly 2-4 and 1-2 no limit, typically in rooms with jackpots or high hand bonuses, get a very SKEWED viewpoint on HOW MUCH SHOULD SOMEONE TIP in a pot. They get the 2-4 tourists, and the grandma from iowa who tips $40 on a $300 pot in 1-2 no limit, and there's little else being dealt in their room, thus they get the WRONG impression as to what a "standard" tip should be.

Now I know I'm an advocate of tipping, and I'm not trying to hijack this thread and make it a tipping thread, the poker gods know damn well we don't need any more of THOSE....

But still, take your average 2-4 table, and your average 20-40 at mirage table. You'll make $1 a pot at the mirage, but get 18-20 hands plus a down out (if you're even half a decent dealer at all). At 2-4 you'll get 10-15 hands per down, but get more than a buck a pot average. But if you pay attention, you'll make more PER DOWN, ON AVERAGE in the higher game, because of the speed of the game.

So DITCH the "image" that ridiculously high tips are "THE STANDARD." Take your buck a pot and be happy. And if you bitch about it, don't be surprised if you find yourself JOB HUNTING.

al