Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Never in the history of...

Don't you hate it when you are sweating a sporting event and the network shows the graphic:

"Never in the history of the sport has the event necessary for you to lose your bet occured."

It's funny how often this happens. It's usually little things, like ABC showing how Parcells was 89-0 with a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter... saying "Parcells has never in his career lost a game with a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter." They showed this stat seconds before Washington scored the first of their two touchdowns in the last few minutes of the game earlier this year to win.

The most memorable one for me, though, was when Jason Seahorn became the first player to return an onside kick for a touchdown. The Giants had won the game, but were not going to cover... and I was flying on the Jags. The Jags had to try an onside kick with a few seconds left and they put up the stat for no apparent reason. The Giants didn't need to score to win, but somebody in the booth felt compelled to point out that an onside kick had never before been returned for a TD. It was the only way the Giants could cover.

That one took the place of Bret Favre's intentional safety in the playoffs several years ago at the end of the game where he had to literally run as fast as he could for 30 yards just to get into his own endzone for no particular reason other than to fail to cover. With a few seconds left, an anouncer mentioned that he may be able to run out the clock by running all the way back and taking a safety. They then posted the stat that no NFL playoff game had ever before ended with a safety as the final play.

I love sports betting.

Irieguy
Old 11-14-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Never in the history of...

so you don't like it when your team is up 49-0 in the 3rd quarter and a stat comes up that says "never before has a team come back from a 49 point deficit"?

i would much prefer that than if it said "72 times in the past a team has come back from a 49 point deficit"
Old 11-15-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so you don't like it when your team is up 49-0 in the 3rd quarter and a stat comes up that says "never before has a team come back from a 49 point deficit"?

i would much prefer that than if it said "72 times in the past a team has come back from a 49 point deficit"

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell you what... I like your avatar.

Irieguy
Old 11-15-2005, 01:12 AM

They did this tonite in MNF. Something like "Philadelphia is undefeated with 10 pt lead in 4th qtr"

gotta love it.

edit
irie can I steal YOUR avatar? it's dope
/edit
Old 11-15-2005, 01:12 AM

Wonder if anyone had ever come back from double digits down in the fourth quarter at the Linc.....
Old 11-15-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wonder if anyone had ever come back from double digits down in the fourth quarter at the Linc.....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I posted this...

I had the Cowboys tonight and was feeling doomed. Then they posted the fact that the Eagles had never lost this year when leading at halftime. It made me think "sweet... Philly is toast."

Then I thought about all of the doomsday, "never before" stats that they always post and went into my office to write this goofy post.

Then Dallas wins. Booyah.

Irieguy
Old 11-15-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the Cowboys tonight and was feeling doomed. Then they posted the fact that the Eagles had never lost this year when leading at halftime. It made me think "sweet... Philly is toast."

Then I thought about all of the doomsday, "never before" stats that they always post and went into my office to write this goofy post.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Nice work. Friend of mine had the Eagles 40 times. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But serves him right for saying the fact I liked the 'Boys clinched his decision to bet the Eagles. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 02:27 AM

thank you dallas for the $925 win ill take it
Old 11-16-2005, 01:30 AM

I was at that Giants game... before Sehorn was terrible.

Excellent point though.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

OH yeah...i took the boys too....nice suck out eh?