Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-14-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Bluff, Bet Size

HU vs. someone forget who, take his play at face value this hand. if anything he is slightly loose caller. he raises to 300 in SB (so actually 3 way), i raise to 900 in BB with 98s. he calls. flop is (we have 10k each) T74, he checks i check.

turn is 5 putting 2 spades up, he best $1000 i call. river is Ao, pot is 3800 i have about 9k left, he checks i think i need to bet here (anyone disagree?), what size? considered overbet, pot, and smaller bet sizes.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Bluff, Bet Size

You hit such a good flop, is checking through here standard?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:01 PM

Were you afraid of flop CR? What do you reraise with PF, then check behind with on that flop, then flat call with on the turn? AKo?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:03 PM

hmmm.
i started to type a response, but i think this depends so much on the player.
diff amts. for diff plyrs.
most of the time, i bet 2400ish, some plyrs will call that w/ anything so u have to bet 4200 if u want the pot.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:05 PM

Flop is autobet for you. 2/3 the size of the pot.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:26 PM

You reraised with 8 9 in the hopes of either outplaying your opponent on the flop or hitting a good one. Why aren't you betting? That's a sweet flop for you, about the best you can ask for.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:47 PM

Bet the flop unless your opponent is only calling reraises with a relatively narrow range of hands. Most players call thin enough 3 handed in an aggressive game that this should be an autobet, especially if you don't plan on checking real hands with any frequency (generally a good plan in reraised pots). Given how you played it, there are relatively few hands in your likely range that have improved on the river. If you're perceived as at all aggressive and he has a tendency to call loose, this is a hopeless bluff.

If I bet I bet the pot, but bet sizes in these spots should 'work' within your overall gameplan. Don't leak information to good players. If a disporporiate % of your bets in this spot are bluffs because your opponents have a tendency to fold too often, I like smaller bets (60% of pot). The value you sacrifice when you're value betting is more than compensated for by the pots you 'cheaply' steal.