Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: On the agony of being a fan of both Matusow and Raymer.

I don't think there is any great contradiction. Mike isn't like Hellmuth. He isn't a a little prick because he takes a bad beat and feels the need to insult someone, he just enjoys being a douchebag, but in his personal life is the nicest friendliest guy you'll meet. He'll show flashes of class at the table, and is only really vicious to actual douchebags.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else feel my pain? It's like I feel guilty, or something, which is just dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said it. It's dumb. No reason not to enjoy both. But if it eases your pain any, I seem to recall a Matusow interview during the WSOP ME when he was ranting about Kantor staying in Raymer's KK hand with "no pair, no draw". He seemed almost empathetic.

And, very much unlike Helmuth, a lot of his humour is self-deprecating rather than self-aggrandizing.

Hey, maybe he's not such a bad guy after all.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: On the SHAME of being a fan of both Matusow and Raymer.

While Mike's antics may appeal to the base instincts, calling yourself a "fan" should invite self-loathing.

Unless you'd like to encourage this behaviour in all of the chowderheads throughout cardrooms....
Old 11-09-2005, 04:45 PM

I compare Mike to Chad Johnson. He says outlandish things to get under people's skin, but even his opponents know it's in good fun. The conerbacks that Johnson plays against actually look forward to the crazy things he's going to say because they know it will be lighthearted and funny. To carry the analogy further:
Matasow = Chad Johnson
Hellmuth = Terrell Owens
Old 11-09-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and while he does occasionally step over the line, for the most part it's obvious it's all in fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may not be quite so obvious, if it's at your expense that Mike the Mouth is "having fun".

Doc JS
Old 11-09-2005, 07:26 PM

How many times has Norman Chad said "This is the new Mike? Same as the old Mike." Good grief, we heard you say it in the first episode!! But I disagree with Norm; before watching Mike in the 2005 ME, I thought he was pretty much a jerk and a true crybaby, similar to Hellmuth, but not as egotistical. The "new" Mike is a lot more laid-back, and infinitely funnier than the "old" Mike. I am now a Matusow fan. Watching him bust Sheikan was great.

-Gross
Old 11-09-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I compare Mike to Chad Johnson. He says outlandish things to get under people's skin, but even his opponents know it's in good fun. The conerbacks that Johnson plays against actually look forward to the crazy things he's going to say because they know it will be lighthearted and funny. To carry the analogy further:
Matasow = Chad Johnson
Hellmuth = Terrell Owens

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree with the last part of this more. Comparing T.O. to Hellmuth is a discredit to Hellmuth.

How many bracelets does Hellmuth have? OK, now, tell me how many championships T.O. has been a part of.

Sorry, but I hate T.O. and actually think Hellmuth has serious game.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:52 PM

Are you seriously saying that T.O. doesn't have game?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many times has Norman Chad said "This is the new Mike? Same as the old Mike." Good grief, we heard you say it in the first episode!!

-Gross

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you check your sense of humour at the door? Chad is doing what I believe comedians would term a 'bit'. Repetition is part of the bit. It's funny because the setup is that we hear over and over how Mike is trying to get his life together and not blow up and stop doing drugs and yada yada yada. And so we get to hear Chad doing his bit every time there's a hint of regression.

Are you chuckling yet?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: On the SHAME of being a fan of both Matusow and Raymer.

[ QUOTE ]
While Mike's antics may appeal to the base instincts, calling yourself a "fan" should invite self-loathing.

Unless you'd like to encourage this behaviour in all of the chowderheads throughout cardrooms....

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta agree here. That guy has some serious issues, and he comes across as a buffoon, IMHO.