Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Can someone write this out for me?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
500 people go to see a movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not a direct stipulation, and therefore I was confused... since implications dont usually play in math problems.

for future reference, should I have taken that to mean one from each?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 03:35 AM

I'm either lazy or efficient, but 500*1=500 so 500 women saw the movie.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm either lazy or efficient, but 500*1=500 so 500 women saw the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
at least one of each group (men, women, and children), were in attendance

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It took me a while to get this, because I have no formal math skills whatsoever. I ended up just using common sense and the process of elimination, but it was frustrating not knowing how to put this into the proper mathematical equation form. Can someone on here show me the correct way to write this problem out, along with the answers? There seems to be too many variable for a simple algebraic equation. But there must be a way to put this into a proper math equation. Thanks.

500 people go to see a movie. The theater takes in a total of $500. The admission is as follows:

Men $5, Women $1, Children a penny.

How many in attendance were men? How many were Woman? And how many were Children?

[/ QUOTE ]

500M + 100W + C = 50,000
M + W + C = 500

Multiplying second equation by 500 and subtracting from first:

-400W - 499C = -200,000

400W + 499C = 200,000

W + 499*C/400 = 500

C = 400, W = 1 => M = 99
Old 11-07-2005, 01:18 PM

Holy cow! How did you arrive at something so simple? Alas, I don't understand it. I'll bet if you just take today, you'll forget more about math than I ever knew. If you have the patience to deal with a nitwit like me...

<font color="blue"> 500M + 100W + C = 50,000 </font>

I don't understand how you start out arriving at this.

<font color="blue"> M + W + C = 500 </font>

I DO understand this.

On second thought, never mind. I'll never understand it. It must be incredible to have your mind for math. We live in different worlds.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy cow! How did you arrive at something so simple? Alas, I don't understand it. I'll bet if you just take today, you'll forget more about math than I ever knew. If you have the patience to deal with a nitwit like me...

<font color="blue"> 500M + 100W + C = 50,000 </font>

I don't understand how you start out arriving at this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just 500 cents or $5 times the number of men, plus 100 cents or $1 times the number of women, plus 1 cent times the number of children equals 50,000 cents or 500 dollars. It's the same as 5M + 1W + 0.01C = 500, I just thought it was easier to work in integers.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy cow! How did you arrive at something so simple?

[/ QUOTE ]

By cheating. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Specifically, here:

[ QUOTE ]
W + 499*C/400 = 500

C = 400, W = 1 =&gt; M = 99

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce has one equation with two unknowns, which has an infinite number of solutions. He simply chose the correct solution without referencing why he chose it. Which would be something like this:

C cannot be zero since we know at least one child attended. C cannot be less than 400, or else W is not an integer according to the equation Bruce derived. Also C clearly must be a multiple of 100, since the take is an even dollar amount. C cannot be 500, since not enough money is collected. Finally, C cannot be greater than 500, because we already know that a total of 500 people went to the theater. Therefore C=400 is the only solution, leaving W = 1, and M = 99.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Holy cow! How did you arrive at something so simple?

[/ QUOTE ]

By cheating. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Specifically, here:

[ QUOTE ]
W + 499*C/400 = 500

C = 400, W = 1 =&gt; M = 99

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce has one equation with two unknowns, which has an infinite number of solutions. He simply chose the correct solution without referencing why he chose it. Which would be something like this:

[/ QUOTE ]

I chose it because it satisfied the conditions of the problem. This equation has only 1 positive integer solution which I thought was pretty obvious, so I didn't bother to explicitly prove uniqueness, but thank you. What I shared was the exact and total reasoning that I followed in arriving at the correct solution, so to suggest that I somehow "cheated" is not appropriate.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:53 PM

You're both incredibly smarter than I am at math. The only way I could solve the problem was by cheating. In a short time (longer than should've been necessary), I figured out, "Hey! C has to be in increments of 100!, duh!". I then simply tried C=100, c=200, and so on until I arrived at the correct answer.

I then gave this problem to a grade school TEACHER who couldn't figure it out right away! I also asked this girl I knew who was pretty good in math and she didn't know how to write this problem out. I figured the 2+2 guys would instantly. I was right. A very smart group on here.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I shared was the exact and total reasoning that I followed in arriving at the correct solution, so to suggest that I somehow "cheated" is not appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies. I was simply joking. I didn't mean to impugn your integrity. I just thought that might be the source of why Lestat couldn't follow your solution. Again, my apologies.