Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Another DVD Burner Question

Thanks.

Yes, it appears I purchased an OEM version (whatever that means), and I didn't get any software with it.

So I just downloaded and installed some trial version of WinDVD and it the DVD played. Someone told me to get Power something or another. When this trial expires maybe I will. Have you ever heard of that? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:00 PM

I don't really know, not familiar with the DVD playing software, I don't use it much, can't help you with that.

OEM, as far as I know, stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. It's basically the parts that are sold to computer companys and not sold in stores. They don't include the extra parts or software, they are cheaper because of this.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:07 PM

Please do not link piracy sites, warez, etc on 2+2. I've removed the link from your post and I will try and finish the sticky i am working on by this weekend so that this will be clear to everyone in the future.

tx

stabn
Old 11-03-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks.

Yes, it appears I purchased an OEM version (whatever that means), and I didn't get any software with it.

So I just downloaded and installed some trial version of WinDVD and it the DVD played. Someone told me to get Power something or another. When this trial expires maybe I will. Have you ever heard of that? Thanks for your help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally use WinDVD and would recommend it if the price isn't too bad (it came with my PC so i don't know how much it costs retail).

The power one you were recommended is probably cyberlink PowerDVD. You can get a free trial or order it here.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:33 PM

If it's too technical don't feel you have to respond, but what ARE all these things? My computer played movies just fine before I even bought the DVD player. ?? Now all of a sudden I need all this software to play a movie just because it's on a DVD? I guess that's it, but it seems way more complicated than it has to be.

Again, I don't have a problem paying for anything. I'm not looking to pirate or do anything illegal. I just want the simplest way to play a friggin movie. Aaaghh! This WinDVD came with all kinds of other stuff that I don't even know what's for. There's a google search bar on my desktop and in my task bar now. I really don't want those there. I have no problem just going to the google website if I need to look something up.

As you can see, I'm really computer illiterate.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's too technical don't feel you have to respond, but what ARE all these things? My computer played movies just fine before I even bought the DVD player. ?? Now all of a sudden I need all this software to play a movie just because it's on a DVD? I guess that's it, but it seems way more complicated than it has to be.

Again, I don't have a problem paying for anything. I'm not looking to pirate or do anything illegal. I just want the simplest way to play a friggin movie. Aaaghh! This WinDVD came with all kinds of other stuff that I don't even know what's for. There's a google search bar on my desktop and in my task bar now. I really don't want those there. I have no problem just going to the google website if I need to look something up.

As you can see, I'm really computer illiterate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically DVD's are encrypted and the format they are encrypted in is a little 40 bit proprietary sceme. The drive you bought can read a DVD but does not have a hardware decoder (to unecrypt the datastream). So you buy a program that is licensed by the owners of the DVD-CCA encryption sceme to unencode the data. (Going to lunch i'll finish this post later along w/ instructions on how to install WinDVD w/o all that extra [censored]).

Going on to WinDVD:

Wow this installer has no custom setup option, that's pretty bs. It does however have the option screen near the end of setup with two check boxes. They say Google Toolbar and Google Desktop Search. If you had unchecked them during setup they wouldn't be installed. Same with InterActual on the following screen. A decent rule of them is to always uncheck options for 3rd party programs or non required options (like subscribing you to mailing lists) with installing things like dvd players/codecs/real player. Now that you've installed those options if you want you can go to

Start | Run | appwiz.cpl
On the Change or remove Programs tab find InterVideo WinDVD 7 and click remove. Follow the options to completely remove it. Then it is your choice to either reinstall it unselecting the checkboxes mentioned above or try another dvd player.

Let me know if you need any additional help / information.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks a lot Stabn. A huge help. I'll let you know if I run into any problems. Have you ever heard of this Power thing that someone recommended to me? Do you think that might be better or are they all pretty much the same? Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks a lot Stabn. A huge help. I'll let you know if I run into any problems. Have you ever heard of this Power thing that someone recommended to me? Do you think that might be better or are they all pretty much the same? Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't tried the PowerDVD myself no. I did find the download for it which i linked earlier in the thread. If i get a chance i'll take a look at it later tonight and let you know what i think of it.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:40 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i've always had better luck with powerdvd than windvd
Old 11-03-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've always had better luck with powerdvd than windvd

[/ QUOTE ]

What problems did you have with WinDVD?