Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-28-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Moneymaker at Resorts East Chicago Last Night

This was a surprise, as I hadn't been around there too much lately and didn't know. He was signing autographs and hob-nobbing with the knob-slobbers and played a $50 buy-in (I think) STT against guys who won a drawing. Kind of lame, but it's good for poker.

The really lame part is, everybody started trying to play well across the board. The juicy 10/20 game I saw when I showed up tightened considerably once CM was in the cardroom, which blew.

Then a funny hand came that accidentally made the game good again.

I'm in UTG+1 with black aces and raise. Folded to the BB who calls. BB is a tight thinking player who can use deception but is relatively straightforward, which is what this game mostly calls for.

Flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet, he calls.

Turn comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet, he raises.

It's obvious that he has a Q, so I muck my aces face up. I'm specifically hoping people later make fancy plays at me, since this crowd doesn't know when or how to do it.

Well, folding aces in that game without a terrifying board is unheard of, so a couple of the fish just about fall out of their chairs. Then BB tables QQ for the turned quads and they go apeshit about my "read" (like I read him for QQ after he didn't 3-bet preflop).

Anyway, the "good fold" becomes the theme with several clowns, which is particularly funny because they're mucking KK such face up, only to see a showdown in which they were (clearly) good all along. I also get to take shots at them and they muck away, because I'd shown down some monsters and threw the one away. So the LAGs start trying it, and we're back in Crazytown. Good times, terrific session.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Moneymaker at Resorts East Chicago Last Night

Anyone who can't table AA against a tight unimaginative player's checkraise of that nature has no place at the table. Pretty entertaining that everyone flipped out... must have been a young table.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Moneymaker at Resorts East Chicago Last Night

Not young at all. In any game under 20/40 and under here, the standard play is to call the CR, call the river, show AA, and look sad and/or whine. It's a good game.