Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: 2006 WSOP Main Event now published

[ QUOTE ]
Will this whet the appetites of poker-players in that area and entice them to try to make it to Vegas in July for the 'real thing'?
Or will just playing a circuit event be enough for them? t

[/ QUOTE ]

I say yes to the former. If you look at the list of players who cashed the 1K event at the Caesar's WSOPCT event, you don't see the usual list of names from the circuit--the Vegas and LA pros and other regulars. Instead, it's a whole new crop of people experiencing what it's like to go the distance and take down money in an NL tournament. Poker is a very engaging game and such experiences only serve to promote the desire for action, competition, winning.

I won't take a guess as to how many people will turn out for the main event next year, but I agree that the biggest potential problem with the 2006 ME schedule is the duration. I wonder what fraction of people who were able to take 1 week off this year for their ME seat won't be able to take off 10-15 days next year. Any guesses?

The one cool feature about the schedule is that no one plays 2 days in a row on either days 1A-D, or 2AB/2CD. I'm declaring Day 1D to be the ideal starting day. Do you see why?

Shane
Old 10-25-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also worth considering is the WSOP circuit.
For example, the current event at Caesar's-Indiana (near Louisville) is packed.

I believe someone posted that their first 4 events were sold-out in advance and they had hundreds of alternates.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was me, and I was ONCE AGAIN misinformed by people from Caesars Indiana. They are always wrong!! The first event did have 953 though($300). $500Limit-355, $1k-351, $500rebuy-130.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Exact dates for 2006 WSOP Main Event?

On my way to search for the press release for this at Harrah's Web site (not there yet), I found this gem (dated October 20):
'National Heads-Up Poker Championship' Moves To Caesars Palace In New Deal

For those of you who don't have time to read the release, it doesn't look like there are many major changes other than the location. It will be held in March again, for broadcast by NBC in April & May over six episodes. Just like last time, it will be 64 players with a blind draw.

Two minor changes I noticed are the fact that NBC will be expanding their coverage from 8 to 10 hours, and that it will be exclusively broadcast on Sundays (some of the last competition was telecast on Saturdays).
Old 10-25-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do we really believe that the main-event will get 8,000 players next year?
My guess would be about 5,600 again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right. In the neighborhood of 5K sounds right. I think 2005 was the peak of this. I don't see a big downswing really fast, but I think the "reality" of the true difficulty of the game (and long odds on hitting the money for the "anyone can win" crowd) is coming to light for the masses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind, to a lot of people this is winning the lottery. I'd rather pay $10 G's with a 10,000-1 shot than pay $20 per week at the mega-millions or powerball. Granted, dead money doesn't have a 10,000-1 shot but regular folks don't know that.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my word isn't good enough around here? fine! here's yer stinkin' link!

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a saying in the Auditing profession. "Trust, but verify." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my word isn't good enough around here? fine! here's yer stinkin' link!

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a saying in the Auditing profession. "Trust, but verify." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you also say "There you go again" when somebody repeats a habit?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:31 PM

I played in the event last year and I think this is actually a good thing. One of my biggest complaints last year were the 14 hour days. It was mentally exhausting. When I look at the schedule, it doesn't look like any day will last more than 10 hours. And with days off in between, players can stay sharp. For the very good players, this should be a big advantage. I know some will say that endurance has always been a part of becoming a champion, but I think last year's schedule was over the top. Just my two cents.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it doesn't look like any day will last more than 10 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

day 1. 2k to 800 players will take awhile IF they actually get 8k.
this yr was about 1860 to 660 i think and that was using only 100 min levels.

day 2 will also be longer than 10 hours. but at least there is rest in=between,
Old 10-25-2005, 03:15 PM

Default No S.H.O.E.? No H.O.R.S.E?

No mixed games once again I see, have they pretty much disappeared? Strange because Wynn spreads a 10/20 mixed sometimes, the "big game" is mixed, the Bike has 30/60 mixed sometimes, even Morongo has 3/6 mixed. Bad for TV I guess, or something...and no mixed games online that I am aware of, there should be.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Re: No S.H.O.E.? No H.O.R.S.E?

At least they brought back 2-7, and razz. Nice to see some more non holdem events.