Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: TT gets capped.

Are you calling this all the way down. If you only call the flop, it most likely with cost you two more BB. With the raise, you can see where it gets you a free card or possibly a free showdown depending on the line that you take. This will only cost you 1.5BB. I think the raise with this flop is the best line? I think this raise makes the rest of the hand much easier to play and has the potential to save you bets?

mitch
Old 10-18-2005, 02:39 PM

OK, i wont be posting for awhile here. This should go up on the post of the day, just to show what a dumb ass i am. I will make excuses and say that I am at work and was in a hurry. Sorry, I will pay more attn next time.

mitch

PS. you know you really feel like an idiot when you turn red while reading a post from people you don't even know or probably will never meet in person.

LOL
Old 10-18-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you calling this all the way down. If you only call the flop, it most likely with cost you two more BB. With the raise, you can see where it gets you a free card or possibly a free showdown depending on the line that you take. This will only cost you 1.5BB. I think the raise with this flop is the best line? I think this raise makes the rest of the hand much easier to play and has the potential to save you bets?

mitch

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian capped pre flop and will 3-bet that flop and lead the turn with his hand range more often than he will call and give you a free card so the majority of the time it will actually cost you an extra big bet not save you half of one.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he calls...and is angry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats a good thing. 1. It put him on tilt. 2. Let him think your a fish.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:49 PM

I like how this hand was played out.

Flop raise either does two things. One, it slows down an UI AK and scared JJ (which we want, since it's 50/50 on being WA/WB), and Two, Hands like QQ/KK/AA/overplayed AQ are either:

A. 3-betting us and we can fold safely
or
B. CRing the turn (unless they are tricky and donk the turn).

So the flop and turn was played fine.

River, you're lucky that the opponet is bad. If I was opponet, I would either check/call or bet/fold. Most likely bet/fold.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how this hand was played out.

Flop raise either does two things. One, it slows down an UI AK and scared JJ (which we want, since it's 50/50 on being WA/WB), and Two, Hands like QQ/KK/AA/overplayed AQ are either:

A. 3-betting us and we can fold safely

[/ QUOTE ]
folding to a flop 3-bet is terrible.

i didn't address it in my post - but the flop raise is pretty pointless. sometimes the hands that will slow down to your flop raise (AK/JJ) will give you a free turn anyway. also when you raise and get 3-bet, you're going to have to make a very slim call on the turn with implied odds on your gutshot.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the flop raise is pretty pointless. sometimes the hands that will slow down to your flop raise (AK/JJ) will give you a free turn anyway. also when you raise and get 3-bet, you're going to have to make a very slim call on the turn with implied odds on your gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on that. Also, not only implied odds on the gutshot, but the 2 tens left should be partial outs since they beat AA/KK. What is the correct line though? Call down to a non Ace, non King? Raise a turn blank for fold equity + free showdown?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:19 PM

This thread has been really informative for me.

I typically play too aggressively in spots like these.

I am afraid of folding to a hand like AK, so I make a test raise on the flop, even though I know villain has the big PP more often than he has AK.

It's better to occasionally fold to a worse hand here (on the turn UI) then getting 3-bet with AA-QQ when you have outs.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the flop raise is pretty pointless. sometimes the hands that will slow down to your flop raise (AK/JJ) will give you a free turn anyway. also when you raise and get 3-bet, you're going to have to make a very slim call on the turn with implied odds on your gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on that. Also, not only implied odds on the gutshot, but the 2 tens left should be partial outs since they beat AA/KK. What is the correct line though? Call down to a non Ace, non King? Raise a turn blank for fold equity + free showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have almost no fold equity against a capping range and raising the turn by no means gets us a free showdown.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread has been really informative for me.

I typically play too aggressively in spots like these.

I am afraid of folding to a hand like AK, so I make a test raise on the flop, even though I know villain has the big PP more often than he has AK.

It's better to occasionally fold to a worse hand here (on the turn UI) then getting 3-bet with AA-QQ when you have outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think folding the turn is a good idea. On the turn, the pot is 6 BB if you call the flop. Let's assume that Villain bets the river, and we plan to call that. We would then have to be good 2/7 of the time. Let's give him a possible hand range: {AA-JJ/AK/AQ}. That gives us:

AA, KK, JJ - 6 combinations each = 18 combinations
QQ - 3 combinations
AQ - 12 combinations

Behind: 33 combinations

AK - 16 combinations

Ahead: 16 combinations

Which is much more often than 2/7. If he has AK, he has 6 outs to draw out on you on the river, whereas you have 4 outs to a gutshot, and partial outs to a set. I'm gonna assume that they roughly cancel each other out. So as it stands, we are going to win this pot 16/49 (32.7% of the time), which is greater than 2/7 (28.6% of the time), so this should be a calldown.

If we tighten up his range to exclude AQ or open up his range to include AJ, we should be calling down even more often.