Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 11:44 PM

Default I suck at handling donk bets

What's the best plan of action with handling these when you didn't grab a piece of the flop in both a) HU pot and b) multiway pots. When I raise with a pair PF and I get donked I usually raise on a safe board(ex. TT on J84 flop). But hands like these seem to be costing me a lot and I tend to call the flop and fold the turn UI. Thoughts? All too standard? I've had a lot of these come up lately and I really feel like I can/should be able to play them better.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5 BB
Old 10-17-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: I suck at handling donk bets

I'm not folding the turn getting 5:1 with an overcard and a double gutter, albeit one side on the ass end.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the best plan of action with handling these when you didn't grab a piece of the flop in both a) HU pot and b) multiway pots. When I raise with a pair PF and I get donked I usually raise on a safe board(ex. TT on J84 flop). But hands like these seem to be costing me a lot and I tend to call the flop and fold the turn UI. Thoughts? All too standard? I've had a lot of these come up lately and I really feel like I can/should be able to play them better.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5 BB

[/ QUOTE ]
In your hand example you called the flop with no pair and no draw, this is not a winning poker strategy. So the first step to handling these donk bets is to fold when you have nothing. Also, i dont understand how you can think J84 is a safe board for TT. This is actually a very unsafe board for TT, since if anyone has a J you are crippled. In fact if you are in a multiway pot and someone bets into you on this board and all you have is TT and there are 3 or 4 players to act behind you, you should be foldling, not raising.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:13 AM

Obviously the TT example I did not want to have some perfect board but something that was pretty mild(as opposed to something like AQ5). Also, suppose the board didn't give me any of my possible straight outs(JT42 board, for example), folding is standard right? On the side note, should I really not peel and call 1 SB on this flop?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not folding the turn getting 5:1 with an overcard and a double gutter, albeit one side on the ass end.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but you are also not calling the flop. Hero should have bailed on this hand, no reason to call.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but you are also not calling the flop. Hero should have bailed on this hand, no reason to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much 6-max and too many donkbets on trash make me call that flop, with as many as 6 outs I don't think it's hugely horrible.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:46 AM

I've been bouncing around between full and 6 max limit trying to learn to play both and I think it might be hindering my overall growth but it quenches my ADD side. In 6 max I'm almost always peeling with this hand but yea in full ring I suppose it's better to just dump it. Expanding on this, what do you do in this situation on the flop if you have:

JJ
AK

If I played well I would fold the 99 but I don't, and raise JJ and AK, correct?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much 6-max and too many donkbets on trash make me call that flop, with as many as 6 outs I don't think it's hugely horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a semi-full table, and you are discounting the SB's actions (who will probably fold a good percentage of the time, but its not guaranteed). This time I think a fold is best. I'd take the more conservative approach by giving the hero no more than 4.5 outs rather than your 6.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:17 AM

westley878 is right.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:45 AM

Why are you calling the flop? You're getting 7:1 to call but can't possibly feel good about anything but a turn ace, and even that completes a straight. You're not closing the action. Fold. Stop pissing away small bets making loose calls.

Now, if he tries to take advantage of your tightness by donking a lot, you have the following things working for you:

a) the SB is in there making hands and slowing him down too
b) when you do hit, you'll almost always be happy to have the opportunity to raise and drive out the SB in a pot this size.
c) your constant folding will put you in a position to resteal from time to time

So, fold this one, and wait for a better opportunity. When you do decide to play, raise. Don't play until the pot starts to look attractive compared to the odds of you winning unimproved.

good luck
Eric