Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-14-2005, 06:30 PM

Default ***The Official SossMan Challenge Thread (Free $$ inside)*** OT

***Firstly, let me say that this is very off-topic and has no poker content. If a mod feels the need to do something about this thread, please PM me before moving thread.***

I am posting this here because this is where I have the most friends and I believe that I've earned a little leeway.

Ok...here's the thing.

I'm fat. I'm 6'3" and weigh 310 lbs as of yesterday. I have always been overweight. As far as I can remember, I have had the same body type. When I played football in HS, I was probably 275 or so. I have hovered between 290-310 since then (I'm 26).

I have always kept fairly active in terms of sports, but haven't ever really committed to a workout and eating plan that would enable me to lose weight. My ideal weight for my body structure would be in the 215-230 range. Obviously, that's a ways off.

The thing that scares me the most is my family history. My father died when he was 46. His dad died when he was 54. My mother's dad died when he was 57. My uncle is in his 40's and has already survived one heart attack. They all died from heart disease.

The reason for this challenge is that I have two equally strong personality traits:

I am super-lazy and I am super-competitive.

So, I have come up with the following solution:

I want to ultimately get to my goal of losing ~90 lbs over the next 12-18 months. I want to do it naturally (no surgury) and I want it to be heart healthy (no Atkins).

I am going to try and break it up into manageable pieces.

The first step is where you guys come in.

I am going to try to lose 50 lbs by the start of the 2006 WSOP Main Event. Assuming the ME starts in Mid-July, that's around 5.5 lbs a month.

In order to keep my motivation strong, for every pound shy of my 50 lb goal, I will pay $1 to the first 50 people who reply to this thread.

No catch, you lose nothing if (when) I make my goal. You don't owe me $10 if I lose 60lb. You will be taking my word for how much weight I have lost by the WSOP.

Example #1:
I weigh 275 on the day in question. I would be 15 lb short of my goal. I would pay each respondant $15 for a total of $750.

Example #2:
I weigh 253 on Day 1 of the ME. I owe you dick.

Example #3:
I weight the same. $50 SnG's on me.

Stipulations:

-I won't pay extra money if I happen to gain weight. The max I will pay out is $2500. (50 x $50)

-The offer will be voided / modified at my discression should I suffer an injury during the next 8 months.

-Should I owe you money, I will only pay one of two ways: PokerStars Transfer (possibly in W$, my choice) or in cash at the WSOP.

-Offering to treat me at the RIO Buffet the day before the ME is discouraged.

Assuming there is some interest, I will post periodic updates to let you know what cup size I'm down to.

Thanks in advance, and good luck me.

-Andrew Soss
Old 10-14-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: ***The Official SossMan Challenge Thread (Free $$ inside)***

Sounds good. I'm the exact opposite (5'6 and 140)
Good luck.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:33 PM

Good Luck Soss, I hope you don't owe me any money.
-Mike
Old 10-14-2005, 06:34 PM

Good luck to you, hopefully you won't owe me any money.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:36 PM

I won't take your money, but all the best. GL mate. I should do one of these threads to quit smoking. Bad habit.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:37 PM

Admirable goal- good luck.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:39 PM

You will succeed if you decide to.

Regards,
Darcy
Old 10-14-2005, 06:40 PM

good luck. maybe ill go to the gym sometime... prolly not im lazy.

don't hurt yourself man. It is unhealthy to be losing that much weight so quickly. About a pound a week is all the body can healthfully lose. Your body NEEDS to get energy and nutrition from food. True, you can burn up your bodies stores, but you need nutrients that only come from food. A pound is equal to 3500 calories. That's a deficit of 500 calories a day to healthyfully lose 1# a week. A normal diet is about 2K cal. Someone your size does actually NEED more cal than that, so you're probably up around 2600. With excercise you can increase your expenditures to around 3300 and eat the same amount (or cut back a little if you're eating junkfood.) Esp. when losing weight and NOT eating loads of food, you need to make sure you are getting the nutrients you need, so eat good stuff. Be safe. Good luck. and remember that excersise is the most important part of the equation.

Good luck. Hook the laptop up near a treadmill and walk while you play!