Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 10-05-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Doyle\'s a scumbag?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure it's sarcasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it was, which is why I posted what I did two posts ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think it was sarcasm either. However, I didn't really care, since the moral character of big players is irrelevant to me. I'll never see them in a cash game. Furthermore, any non-regular who sits in the Big Game and doesn't know about the implicit collusion is a fool.

Regards,

T
Old 10-05-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure it's sarcasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it was, which is why I posted what I did two posts ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think it was sarcasm either. However, I didn't really care, since the moral character of big players is irrelevant to me. I'll never see them in a cash game. Furthermore, any non-regular who sits in the Big Game and doesn't know about the implicit collusion is a fool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their moral character is still relevant to me even though I'll never play with them. If someone is stealing money, I want them to be punished, even if I'm not the victim.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I recall Clark once said there is (implicit) collusion in the Big Game to such a degree that no non-regulars can win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did anyone that is commenting on Brunson ever read ace on the river? If had you would have read how Barry Greenstein felt the same exact way you guys did and wouldnt go to vegas at all for that reason also the rumor of chip and Brunson cheating has been going on for years, but its obviously not true. Barry plays in the big game now, and if he plays there then its obviously safe as he has no ties whatsoever to vegas, he doesnt live in vegas and only goes there occasionally to play. He is not a regular and if there was any proof to what you guys said, he would get cleaned out, but if you read his book you will see that he does rather well in it. Think about that before screaming collusion.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone that is commenting on Brunson ever read ace on the river? If had you would have read how Barry Greenstein felt the same exact way you guys did and wouldnt go to vegas at all for that reason

[/ QUOTE ]

What section is this in?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:53 PM

Cant recall the exact page number or anything, but its the part of the book where he talks about his life.

Also forgot to say one more thing, who do you think feeds the players in the big game?

The answer is wealthy businessmen who are out to dump a few hundred thousand and pros who win at smaller levels and are taking shots. Now do you think the average pro is just going to admit that someone is better than him? Most wont, rather than saying damn chip outplayed me I gotta work on my game, they say, he has to be cheating he cant beat me. I see that a lot of that when I play shooting games online such as unreal tournament, some people just cant believe that others are better than them and immediately start saying that they are being cheated. Its the same logic.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cant recall the exact page number or anything, but its the part of the book where he talks about his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean the long early part where he's giving a biography of how he got to where he is today?
Old 10-05-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see that a lot of that when I play shooting games online such as unreal tournament, some people just cant believe that others are better than them and immediately start saying that they are being cheated. Its the same logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

While it is paranoid to assume you are always being cheated in poker, it is incredibly naive to assume that cheating doesn't happen, especially at the high stakes.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

While it is paranoid to assume you are always being cheated in poker, it is incredibly naive to assume that cheating doesn't happen, especially at the high stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you implying "Matador-like" cheating or more subtle forms like soft playing other pros?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:10 PM

It's like the Nature channel, you don't see pirhanna eating each other do you?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you implying "Matador-like" cheating or more subtle forms like soft playing other pros?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what "Matador-like" means. But I mean that there are people playing poker every day with the intention of cheating for profit. I think those people are greatly in the minority, and I think that if you sit in any small or medium stakes game, you could play your whole life, make a lot of money, and not worry too much about cheating. But as the stakes increase, the incentive to cheat increases, and with it, the concentration of cheaters also increases.

Basically, I'm saying this. If you want to play $40-$80 limit in LA, $15-$30 limit on Party, or $5-$10 blind no limit, then you basically don't have to worry much about cheating. You might get cheated once in a while, but overall it's not going to impact your bottom line much.

But if you waltz into a $300-$600 mixed game or a big no limit game where you don't know the players (or don't know them well), and you bring your $200k bankroll and start playing regularly, you're going to look like a mark to someone. And if you stick around long enough, some people are going to treat you like a mark until you wise up. That's not just the way poker is... that's the way life is.