Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Online MBA... any opinions??

Hello all, Has anyone here completed (or working on) their MBA via the internet? I am looking around but I can only find a handfull of schools that offer it on the internet that don't look like diploma mills.

If you are, post your school and opinion. thanks
Old 09-17-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Online MBA... any opinions??

There are a number of accredited and respected schools with traditional programs also doing this now. The problem with doing this is credibility of the program with employers. Also, you'll be missing out on the networking opps MBA school provides.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:40 PM

I agree with the advantages of going to a B&M school, I just got out of the Air Force and ALOT of my friends/coworkers went the online route. There were many discussions about the differences between going online and going to a normal school. The only problem is I work shift work now, and it would be alot easier for me not to have to worry about missing class because of work. thanks for the input though.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:07 PM

Your Air Force experience is more than likely going to outweigh any disadvantage of not going to the university to get your MBA. Two programs for you to look into is Colorada State and University of Florida. I have several friends of mine who did the CSU program and were very happy. I looked in to the UF one myself and it does require you to travel to the site once in a while.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:59 PM

I am not really looking for the MBA to "make more money" but to open up more oppurtunities in the future. I landed a pretty nice job with just my AF experience. But the skills that I have are only valuable in certain locations (for the most part: DC-were i am, Colorado and California) I am looking for something that i can use to open more doors in other places as I was stationed in both CO and CA...
Old 09-17-2005, 03:19 PM

From my experience, and from talking to career counselors, your goal should be to get an MBA not just from any B&M school, but from a first or second tier B&M school. This means a school ranked in the top 50 or so in the world. You may have to relocate, and the application process is challenging.

Note that what I'm talking about refers to career advancement. If you want the business knowledge, and don't care so much about career advancement (for instance, if you own your own business), then any good quality school will do the trick. In that case, a good online program might be just the answer.

-ptmusic
Old 09-17-2005, 03:22 PM

it's been said that the main benefit of b+m mba programs isn't what you learn, but the connections you make.

take from that what you will.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:06 PM

You learn a hell of a lot, too. What I learned was MUCH more valuable to me than the paper or the connections.

I was an accounting undergrad, but I also went through the program with a quite a few non-business majors.

[Edit] I went to a B&M business school. While I don't have any first-hand knowledge of online programs, I would recommend a B&M program without reservation.