Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Slackers Annonymous

I'm trying to start a club within my school called Slacker's Annon. its aim is obviously to help students and my from procrastinating. But I am still unclear on how we could actually help each other as a group from doing so. It's not going to be a "serious" theraputic thing, but I would certainly like to see some progress within group members. and I need your ideas on how we could get started.

All ideas are welcome!

thanks for taking the time to read this post.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Slackers Annonymous

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to start a club within my school called Slacker's Annon. its aim is obviously to help students and my from procrastinating. But I am still unclear on how we could actually help each other as a group from doing so. It's not going to be a "serious" theraputic thing, but I would certainly like to see some progress within group members. and I need your ideas on how we could get started.

All ideas are welcome!

thanks for taking the time to read this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's wait for a better time to start this.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Let's wait for a better time to start this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep rescheduling the first meeting, indefinately...
Old 09-17-2005, 06:40 AM

congratulations, your 1337th post.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:18 PM

Do you really think they'd have the energy to show up to meetings [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2005, 12:43 PM

i should be a charter member...
Old 09-17-2005, 09:24 PM

I'll post a reply tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:54 AM

Go on a filed trip and watch the burger flippers at McD's, the janitors anywhere, warehouse workers humping their asses off for $8/hr, etc. so that they will know where slackers end up.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:37 AM

Sorry to be a spoil-sport and give a serious reply. I've had a lot of trouble with procrastination in my life, so I feel for you.

The best way to get started is actually the simplest. Everyone needs to commit to weekly meetings that can be pretty short. At each meeting, you go around the room, and each person says ONE thing they want to do in the next week. JUST ONE. And not something huge (writing a whole term paper), but a small specific piece (getting 2 books from the library for the term paper). Be sure to write this down on a master list for the group.

The next week, everyone says whether they've acheived their goal, and if not, why. Then everyone sets a new goal for the following week.

Actually having to go and say whether you've done whatever can really make you do whatever you said you'd do: good old-fashioned peer pressure. And people often procrastinate because they are overwhelmed: a task seems too big to start. But if you set little goals, your goals will be doable. And each time you accomplish one of your little goals, you get positive reinforcement from the group. (And, of course, if someone doesn't know where to start breaking down the bigger goals, sometimes the group can help.)

All the time-management books recommend the same things: break your larger tasks into smaller tasks so you aren't overwhelmed. Concentrate on finishing one step at a time. Reward yourself with something for finishing a step. It's certainly easier said than done (which I know all too well!), but it's a start.

Good luck.