Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Another little predestination thing

John 17:6-19

[ QUOTE ]
6"I have revealed you[a] to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. 7Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. 8For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. 9I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. 10All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. 11I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name—the name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one. 12While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled. 13"I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. 14I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17Sanctify[b] them by the truth; your word is truth. 18As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would Jesus die for those of whom he wouldn't pray for. Now i know Jesus did pray for his emimies but He didn't pray for them in this way.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Another little predestination thing

This passage is meant in the sense that Jesus does not pray for those who have already rejected His message, not that all men are not called. No passage can be taken out of context of the rest of scripture. That God does call all men to repsond to the gospel, and as refutation of the Calvinist doctrine of limited atonement, there is this:

"My little children, I am writing this to you so that you may not sin; but if any one does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and he is the expiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world." 1 John 2:1-2 (RSV-CE)
Old 09-07-2005, 04:56 PM

Whole world has been known to mean those that have been predestined
Old 09-08-2005, 05:50 AM

You mean interpreted to mean that by those who advance Calvinist theological principles such as limited atonement. And just to be clear, if you want to adhere to such interpretations, then you cannot credibly maintain literal interpretations in any other instance.