Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: God does love everybody

[ QUOTE ]

While most Calvinist will argue that God does not love everyone, Only loving those whom He predestined. God does love everyone in a sense.

God has a commen love for the whole world. Every Person falls under this catagory. If God did not love the whole world then He would not let us continue to live on the earth. However those whome He has predestined He has a special love for. Because of this love He chose to save them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no quibble with your point, I just avoid calling it love since he allows them to exist only as his vessels to demonstrate his love to those he has chosen. It's like if I were your enemy, but one of my brothers was your henchmen and you came down on hard times financially. I may lend/give you money to help you out, though my ultimate motive is to help my brother out. It's me being nice to you, is it me loving you?
Old 09-05-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Another Question For Not ready

"I just avoid calling it love since he allows them to exist only as his vessels to demonstrate his love to those he has chosen."

Not Ready. You once wrote a post similar to Spaminator's original post. Udon'tkmowmickey (do I capitalize the "u' at the beginning of a sentence?) rightly doesn't let you two off the hook so easy. He stays consistent with his beliefs.

But there are implications for those beliefs that you are clearly uncomfortable with. Plus you have stated that it is not necessary to have those beliefs to be saved. So why cling to them? It's not like you have to become a Catholic.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Another Question For Not ready

[ QUOTE ]

But there are implications for those beliefs that you are clearly uncomfortable with. Plus you have stated that it is not necessary to have those beliefs to be saved. So why cling to them? It's not like you have to become a Catholic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you addressing me or Notready or Spaminator?

You can capitalize the U whenever you feel like it David.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:11 AM

Bible = God's Book = Pass the acid, dude
Old 09-06-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
God set out a test, and the Christians failed.

See, he instilled us with a powerful mind capable of reason, logic, compassion, etc. He gave us dominion over all the earth. And he gave us a set of lies which would betray everything good in us -- told us we were insignificant, unworthy, unable to do anything for ourselves without his help or mercy. Those who bought into this schtick (aka Christians) sickened the Almighty. But there were those who chose to ignore that hogwash and took pleasure in their god-given bodies and minds and lived as free-thinking men rather than unworthy sheep, and were good in heart not because it offered some afterlife reward but because it was the course of reason. These men lived as creators, challenging the world and the ideas around them, rather than sacrifice their given faculties for reason in favor of comfortable myths. These men passed the test and were the true receivers of God's blessings.

[/ QUOTE ]

That rules. Seriusly, my thoughts have been the same for quite some time.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Plus you have stated that it is not necessary to have those beliefs to be saved. So why cling to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:31 AM

Does God love Satan?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:41 AM

"Which"

I'm talking about this whole issue and specifically udon'tknow mickey's answer to spaminator.

"While most Calvinist will argue that God does not love everyone, Only loving those whom He predestined. God does love everyone in a sense.

God has a commen love for the whole world. Every Person falls under this catagory. If God did not love the whole world then He would not let us continue to live on the earth. However those whome He has predestined He has a special love for. Because of this love He chose to save them.

udon'tknowmickey:

"I have no quibble with your point, I just avoid calling it love since he allows them to exist only as his vessels to demonstrate his love to those he has chosen. It's like if I were your enemy, but one of my brothers was your henchmen and you came down on hard times financially. I may lend/give you money to help you out, though my ultimate motive is to help my brother out. It's me being nice to you, is it me loving you?"

Spaminator's statement is silly. Udontknowmickey realizes that. But his point, if true, makes these discussions irrelevant. If you can be saved even if you think udon't mickey is wrong (about the whole predestination thing), then why not assume he is wrong?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you can be saved even if you think udon't mickey is wrong (about the whole predestination thing), then why not assume he is wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember all the details concerning predestination that udon't went into but the Bible teaches the doctrine unequivocally so why would I assume it's wrong?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Dad\'s cred

[ QUOTE ]
kidluckee:
God ... instilled us with a powerful mind capable of reason, logic, compassion, etc. He gave us dominion over all the earth. And he gave us a set of lies which would betray everything good in us -- told us we were insignificant, unworthy, unable to do anything for ourselves without his help or mercy. Those who bought into this shtick (aka Christians) sickened the Almighty. But there were those who chose to ignore that hogwash and took pleasure in their god-given bodies and minds and lived as free-thinking men rather than unworthy sheep, and were good in heart not because it offered some afterlife reward but because it was the course of reason. These men lived as creators, challenging the world and the ideas around them, rather than sacrifice their given faculties for reason in favor of comfortable myths. These men passed the test and were the true receivers of God's blessings.

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
David Sklansky :
My father actually believes something similar to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh oh.