Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 08-29-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Heads-Up general question. Your opponent does the following:

1) Folds in the SB 10% of the time, open-raises the other 90% of the time.
2) Always calls (never caps) if you 3-bet him.
3) Calls the flop -- any flop -- with any two, unless he raises (which is unlikely).

With what do you 3-bet? How do you play missed flops? Missed turns?

I play a lot like this (though I do more open-limping) and got owned earlier today by someone who plays like this almost all the time. Needless to say, my luck was rather bad and he hit the board a lot with his crapola, and I often paid him off. I think I finally got around to adjusting, but near the end I think I was no better than even with him EV-wise, if that. Looking for an edge here, if there is one.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Heads-Up general question. Your opponent does the following:

How does he play if you just call in the BB? Will he just continue to bet unless played back at?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How does he play if you just call in the BB? Will he just continue to bet unless played back at?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I couldn't play back at him too much bcs eventually he started calling me down with K-high or A-high. So I was in the position of never hitting the flop, knowing he was raising with crap, and feeling uncomfortable with pounding back with my T-high no draw. (Theoretically pounding back should work, but not when he keeps connecting, and never folds on the flop.) This is theoretically a very profitable situation when you start hitting, but this, I did not do, and many many BB disappeared into the wind . . .
Old 08-29-2005, 01:39 AM

Sounds like you know how to adjust and did so, the cards just didn't fall in your favor.

Anyways, obviously you start 3-betting more preflop if you have position. We're talking 6 handed right, SB vs BB battles? Or actually HU table?

When he starts calling down with King high value bet him to death. Mix up calls/3-bets with strong hands. You want him to fear turn raises and give yourself free cards when you don't deserve them. Not sure what else to say. All you have to do is vary your play and adjust to what he is calling down with, and what he is also value betting with. Wait until turns to raise many hands like bottom pair, eventually his turn bets should mean more and he should be checking more often.

I'm not sure if going to war with nothing is the way to win these battles. Just be patient and make more money when you have something than lose money when you have nothing. He is the one paying off playing stupid, doesn't mean you have to. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you know how to adjust and did so, the cards just didn't fall in your favor.

Anyways, obviously you start 3-betting more preflop if you have position. We're talking 6 handed right, SB vs BB battles? Or actually HU table?

When he starts calling down with King high value bet him to death. Mix up calls/3-bets with strong hands. You want him to fear check raises and give yourself free cards on turn when you don't deserve them. Not sure what else to say. All you have to do is vary your play and adjust to what he is calling down with, and what he is also value betting with.

I'm not sure if going to war with nothing is the way to win these battles. Just be patient and make more money when you have something than lose money when you have nothing. He is the one paying off playing stupid, doesn't mean you have to. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think his play was stupid, actually . . . but yeah, I think most of my problem was his mighty luckboxing skills.

This was a pure HU table.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:44 AM

It really sounds to me like you got outflopped. I'm awfully tempted, against this sort of player, to call preflop a lot more than I 3-bet, and make some awfully loose flop peels.

Rob
Old 08-29-2005, 06:28 AM

I am assuming that the SB is on the button. I caution you that I know virtually nothing about purely heads up play, but I will give you my thoughts anyway.

I would only 3-bet with showdown value then bet any flop then play a pure value game from there, putting him on random cards. I would usually bet every round with any pair. I would usually see to it that I got to the showdown either going into check and call mode on the turn or betting and calling down if I thought my hand was strong enough. On hands in which I didn't 3-bet, I would call then (assuming he autobets every flop) I would checkraise with any flopped pair or higher then usually bet every round.

I think the key is to not make ANY moves against this guy if he has proven to you that he will call down with any K high or better. Forget betting or raising with your draws and forget bluffing period. I think you will flat get the money from this guy if you just wait to make a pair or better and then value bet or raise him to death.

If you keep missing flops, then just keep folding whenever you don't have the odds to chase a random hand.

Cartman
Old 08-29-2005, 08:41 AM

As someone who plays a ton of HU, I will say that if he's giving you a hard time, it's probably best to just stand up and find a new game. It's pretty easy to find a decent HU game with someone you are a favorite over. Anyways, try changing gears. Stop bluffing for a while, then once he tightens up start jamming it hard, and then keep switching back once the K high calldowns start.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:33 AM

Against this type of player that will keep betting no matter what I definatly start waiting until the turn to raise both with and without hands, as well I often will wait till the river with decent top pair hands. As well if the structure is such that the SB is the button I think you should be folding a decent amount in the bb like >25%, and if he is literally raising 90% I would threebet those hand that has an ev edge on his range ie at least the top 40% of hands so as low as J9, j8s type of hands.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:04 AM

If he is coming in with 90% and all of them for a raise u of course have to 3bet him a lot. Like 20-25%. Since u want cover for all the not so good hands u call with I wouldnt reraise top 5%.

If he autobet flop and turn as long as u dont raise, u of course often have to wait with your raise when u hit flop.