Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 04:42 PM

Default a moral problem with computers

God confused the language of the early humans because they were trying to become better than God
confusing the language spread out everybody
today with computers we can all comunicate no matter what the language of the others
im sure that a large portion of humanity either thinks they are better than God or want to become better than God

so is there a problem with computers?
will God do something to screw up the computers?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: a moral problem with computers

Yes. Also, he will smite all ESL teachers.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God confused the language of the early humans because they were trying to become better than God
today with computers we can all comunicate no matter what the language of the others
im sure that a large portion of humanity either thinks they are better than God or want to become better than God

[/ QUOTE ]

The message behind the "Towel of Babel" story concerned man's first united rejection of God, and using their skills to reach heaven on their own - without the need for a deity.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Creo qué no, I don't believe so.

If something was going to happen to screw up computers Y2K would have been it.

Ofcourse if one were to take the Book of Revelations as the truth, then logically computers are needed and are part of the infrastructure for that system.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't buy this. Why are you sure? I don't know anyone who thinks they are better than God, if they believe he exists... nor would anyone who didn't believe in God make this comparison.

The Tower of Babel story, if taken literally, (as sdm said) illustrates man's attempt to reach salvation alone; apparently God didn't want this. If taken metaphorically, it explains why different languages exist. If taken critically, it shows how text was used to influence people to believe in a certain religion based on their fear/and or lack of knowledge.

If taken crazily, you could possibly draw out some absurd connection between language and computers and make the above post linking the Tower of Babel to God's obvious plan to destroy computers.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it would appear god already stole the punctuation from your computer.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course if one were to take the Book of Revelations as the truth, then logically computers are needed and are part of the infrastructure for that system.

[/ QUOTE ]

What in Revelations makes you think computers would be needed?
Old 08-27-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course if one were to take the Book of Revelations as the truth, then logically computers are needed and are part of the infrastructure for that system.

[/ QUOTE ]

What in Revelations makes you think computers would be needed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Example
Old 08-27-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't buy this. Why are you sure? I don't know anyone who thinks they are better than God, if they believe he exists... nor would anyone who didn't believe in God make this comparison.

The Tower of Babel story, if taken literally, (as sdm said) illustrates man's attempt to reach salvation alone; apparently God didn't want this. If taken metaphorically, it explains why different languages exist. If taken critically, it shows how text was used to influence people to believe in a certain religion based on their fear/and or lack of knowledge.

If taken crazily, you could possibly draw out some absurd connection between language and computers and make the above post linking the Tower of Babel to God's obvious plan to destroy computers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-27-2005, 01:41 AM

I've been aware of this for quite some time. That's why I've backed up all my electronic files on tape drives.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think God fcks with people the same way twice. So I think the language thing is a been there done that.