Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Anybody see this idiot at Resorts EC Saturday night?

[ QUOTE ]
Did you play the $10-20 HK @ Resorts? IMO the $10-20 at Trump sucks, the only reason to play there is the NL games. The Resorts $10-20 is very fishy and the $20-40 is often even better, if more aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to the Trump b/c I was going with a friend who had never played before and wanted to check out some low limit action, and the Trump spreads a 3/6. (He ended up at the craps table all night). Anyhow, perhaps Resorts would have been better. The Trump 10/20 had a few donators until around midnight, and then the game turned tighter than a nun's anus until 2am when it broke. I went to sit in a lame 6/12 game until that game broke at 6am. Probably should have just told my buddy to suck it up, and played at Resorts.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He finally gets called for no-limit, and pulls out a Jack Daniel's bandana and ties it over his face. Adds the baseball cap and sunglasses. This is presumably so he can knock over a stage coach after he busts out and buy back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was there playing NL when that guy was around. I wasn't at the same table as he was (he was at the must-move, I was at the main game). He looked like and sounded like a total douche. I wanted him to move to the main game so I could take all his chips, but alas, I had to go home before he was moved. Was he any good?

There were some crazy nutjobs there that night. On one hand, I had AKo in late middle position and raise it to $75 after a few limpers. The guy right after me (he's a semi-regular and I thought was decent, but must have been on tilt) re-raised to $150. I've seen him make a few plays like this before with weak hands. I'm pretty sure he won't do this with AA or KK. A guy in early position just calls. I decide I'm going to take the pot down now and push in with a deep stack. Guy who re-raised me quickly calls for the rest of his chips at around $700 total and the early position guy folds and shows AKo as well. I think I'm in bad shape. I figure the guy who called has at least QQ. Board comes out XXXJT and I flip over my hand and say that I just have AK. The other guys must not hear me because he announces that he has K-high and waits for me to say something...so I say I have nothing, just A-high. He says it's good and leaves the table. I'm not sure what he called all-in with, maybe KQ? Crazy dude...
Old 08-09-2005, 10:18 AM

He was a terrible limit player, he couldn't seem to grasp the difference between it and NL (e.g., people drawing with correct odds confused the sh!t out of him). My guess is he was he was bad at NL but paid enough attention on TV to maybe not get killed right away.

How is the NL game there? I've only played it once before it got popular.

You were at the table (I think) with Kenny, a shortish, youngish, very talkative Asian player. He was either railbirding or in the game. I've been told by NL players I didn't know that he is excellent, which surprised me as I wasn't that impressed with his limit play, too laggy preflop but a pretty good hand reader. Do you know who I'm talking about, and what did you think of his play? He's a very regular player there.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Kenny has a table presence that is pretty amazing. He can run the table in NL if he wants. He is fairly laggy and if he runs into the nuts, he might bust himself, but most of the time, he amasses a huge stack at the must-move and ends up leaving before getting to the main game (good idea btw). I stay out of his way. Against a tight table, I don't think his style works, but against the loose must-move tables, he owns people. I haven't played with him enough though, so in the long run, he may be losing...but it doesn't look like it.

I like the NL game, but it's because I enjoy NL more than limit. It feels more creative to me. I'm not sure which is more profitable though. For me, I'm only a mediocre limit player and I'm a decent NL player so NL is where I prefer to be.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Official WSOP Player Waredrobe Checklist:

1) Ultimate Bet hat
2) Full Tilt polo shirt
3) PokerStars Black jacket
4) Cool Sunglasses
5) Second pair of cool sunglasses to wear upside down on hat
6) Vintage Jerry Rice jersey
7) Ipod - Complete with entire catalog of Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond.
8) Bandana
9) Prop cigarette/cigar (best to use a new one every 2/3 sessions)

Okay, what did I leave out?

[/ QUOTE ]

EmpirePoker flask.

-kyo
Old 08-09-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kenny has a table presence that is pretty amazing. He can run the table in NL if he wants. He is fairly laggy and if he runs into the nuts, he might bust himself, but most of the time, he amasses a huge stack at the must-move and ends up leaving before getting to the main game (good idea btw). I stay out of his way. Against a tight table, I don't think his style works, but against the loose must-move tables, he owns people. I haven't played with him enough though, so in the long run, he may be losing...but it doesn't look like it.

I like the NL game, but it's because I enjoy NL more than limit. It feels more creative to me. I'm not sure which is more profitable though. For me, I'm only a mediocre limit player and I'm a decent NL player so NL is where I prefer to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are dead-on with the "move before you hit the main table" approach.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:34 AM

What's the approximate Party equivalent of the Resort's NL must move game? I've been meaning to dabble before playing the 10/20 or 20/40, so playing until called to move sounds about right.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the approximate Party equivalent of the Resort's NL must move game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Friday/Sat night...mostly like online .25/.50 NL if ya ask me...
Old 08-09-2005, 11:59 AM

The list is usually fairly long for the NL game and you will almost always get a seat at the 10/20 or the 20/40 before getting seated in NL. In fact, I usually do the opposite of what you want. I put myself on the 10/20 and 20/40 lists and play those games while I'm waiting for my NL seat.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Friday/Sat night...mostly like online .25/.50 NL if ya ask me...

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say it's quite that fishy, but the main game is often a rock garden with deep stacks. Also, limit may be more profitable at Resorts due to the abundance of fish at those games (from what I hear). I've definitely sat down at some 10/20 tables that played like $0.50/$1.00 tables online, and then some that are tighter than any other game in the room.