Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Pwning at a lower limit

Whatever $$ Zen pisses away on this prop bet he can easily make up tenfold the next time Skipperbob is in town ready to gamboooooool, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
Old 08-02-2005, 08:20 PM

Clearly I need to explain some before you all think I'm more whacked-out than I really am...

Don't get me wrong, the foundation of this bet is smack. Other than flat-out winning a tough Orleans Open event 2 weeks ago, Irie's on a sick cooler right now, especially online (get in a SNG with him and just try to get all your chips to the middle against him with the worst of it and see how it works out...trust me on this one). I figured I'd make the bet to try to get him focused and running in the right direction again, and if that doesn't work, I can at least take advantage of the slide and make a little money off his ice-cold punk ass.

All that aside, however, this challenge is also in the name of science. I have had a theory for some time that the largest component of variance in the SNG comes from the amount of starting chips (assuming starting blinds are always the same), NOT from the caliber of opponents. In other words, the $55's are tougher than the $33's primarily (and perhaps almost exclusively) because you start with more chips. My theory is that the extra $200 in starting chips at the $55 level and above makes bad players "accidentally" play more correctly by tightening up more early in the SNG because they don't feel so short-stacked.

Clearly, I need my ROI to be 67% better than Irie's to win the bet...not an easy task, of course, but I really do think it's doable. I think 25% ROI wins the bet easily, and maybe as low as 20%. Irie is giving me odds on this too(+125), so I actually think the wager is fair and I might even be getting slightly the best of it. I'll be 8-tabling from "ZentheZaster," "ZentheMaster," and/or "ZenDiZaster" so feel free to join me or avoid me as you see fit.

--Z
Old 08-02-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be 8-tabling from ...
--Z

[/ QUOTE ]

Why 8-table? Was there a time limit set to finish the 500 SNG's - or are you just proving your badassness? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll be 8-tabling from ...
--Z

[/ QUOTE ]

Why 8-table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's there, my brother...because it's there.

Other acceptable answers are:

Because I can (as if the $33's aren't boring enough).

Because I don't want to spend any more than one month on this project.

Because Irie will also be 8-tabling the $55's during the bet so we eliminate a variable (number of tables played at a time) when analyzing the results.

--Z
Old 08-02-2005, 08:53 PM

Yeah, but only one of you has the apparent avility to chat while playing....[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

My $$ would be on *that* horse [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Ship it to bank!

Yugoslav
Old 08-02-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

...All that aside, however, this challenge is also in the name of science.
--Z

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This is a scientific experiment. Also in the name of [2+2]science, we will only post our results if we both go on a sick heater.

If I run better at the $109's or $215's, I will post those results instead. If I lose at SNGs all month, I will post my live results in the Bellagio dailies. If I lose everything, i'll just title something "variance is a bitch," and post my results next month instead.

At the end of the year, Zen and I will co-author a post entitiled "glimpse into the results of SNG world champions" where we post our best 6 months each and say "this is pretty much how we do most of the time." Maybe we'll start a website.

Then 2,000 n0obs and 20 low limit SNG pros will hang themselves because they can't match the results of two Jackoffs on the SNG forum.

Then the experiment will be over.

Irieguy
Old 08-02-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes. This is a scientific experiment. Also in the name of [2+2]science, we will only post our results if we both go on a sick heater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you at least say who wins without numbers? Otherwise wtf is the point of this post?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

...All that aside, however, this challenge is also in the name of science.
--Z

[/ QUOTE ]

If I run better at the $109's or $215's, I will post those results instead. If I lose at SNGs all month, I will post my live results in the Bellagio dailies. If I lose everything, i'll just title something "variance is a bitch," and post my results next month instead.

At the end of the year, Zen and I will co-author a post entitiled "glimpse into the results of SNG world champions" where we post our best 6 months each and say "this is pretty much how we do most of the time." Maybe we'll start a website.

Then 2,000 n0obs and 20 low limit SNG pros will hang themselves because they can't match the results of two Jackoffs on the SNG forum.

Then the experiment will be over.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very important post and those who need it the most won't get it.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you at least say who wins without numbers? Otherwise wtf is the point of this post?

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmm... we will actually post the exact results regardless of the outcome.

My post explains this by suggesting that the majority of results posts on this forum are selectively biased toward the favorable end of the variance spectrum. By pointing this out and then facetiously stating that we will do the same, I was attempting to use not-so-subtle irony as a way of stating "we will post our results" while adding some social commentary at the same time.

But as Zen said, i'm running cold right now... apparently it applies to my writing, too.

Irieguy
Old 08-02-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But as Zen said, i'm running cold right now... apparently it applies to my writing, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. Being on a cooler myself (just lost 2 preflop 70/30s and 1 flop 3 outer in less than 15 hands) turned my subtlety detector off. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]