Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 12:28 AM

Default What I do not understand about the conservative ideology

I know that conservatives have, throughout this country's history, generally advocated "limited government", supporting such ideas as limited taxation, limits on gun control, more power to the states/weaker central government, free trade, stronger property rights, opposition to affirmative action, etc.

So why do they often oppose the side that would seem to support "limited government" on other issues, like legalization of marijuana, lower legal age for drinking/gambling, assisted/attempted suicide, censorship, abortion, gay marriage, and sodomy, among othes?

I know that there are different arguments for each of these issues that go beyond how much the government should control one's actions, but it seems to me like in all of these cases, the usual conservative propensity for limited government is superceded by a strict adherance to the Christian ethos. This worried me because it violates the separation of church and state that is supposed to prevail in all branches of government.

Mondern conservative positions on some issues in particular seem counterproductive and anachronistic, and are based on lawmakers' insistence on forcing people to do what they think is good for them. Many of these positions relate to so-called "victimless crimes." For instance, why should somebody be punished for not wearing a seatbelt, underage drinking and gambling, smoking marijuana, or attempting/assisting another with suicide? The only potential victim is the perpetrator (in the case of assisted suicide I will presume mutual consent.) Wouldn't someone who supports limited government oppose the criminality of such actions? In the case of underage activities, why not at the very least take decisionmaking authority away from legislators and grant it to a parent or guardian? A parent or guardian must be present for someone under 17 to see a rated R movie, so why should it be any different for drinking or gambling?

I know that there will be some contrasting opinions on this subject so I would appreciate it if all who respond would please be civil and refrain from describing me or others as "liberals", "leftists", or other uncomplimentary characterizations. Hope this turns into an interesting discussion thread [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: What I do not understand about the conservative ideology

Libertarians are the true conservatives.

Today's "Conservatives" are really fascist authoritarians.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:36 AM

What dead said.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So why do they often oppose the side that would seem to support "limited government" on other issues, like legalization of marijuana, lower legal age for drinking/gambling, assisted/attempted suicide, censorship, abortion, gay marriage, and sodomy, among othes?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lots of different reasons for different issues. It's worth noting that not every conservative agrees with every other conservative on all issues. For instance, I agree that the gov't(at least the Federal gov't) shouldn't be involved in some of those issues.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hope this turns into an interesting discussion thread [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are optimistic by nature. I put you in that category [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2005, 12:46 AM

put yourself in the position of someone who believes that abortion is the mass murder of unborn children. Do you really expect them to care whether this in consistent with wanting to pay lower taxes?

these things are not black and white dude.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you prefer the liberal/Democratic Party position on those issues? Give me some examples of prominent Democrats who advocate gay marriage, legalizing drugs, lowering the drinking age etc...

If Conservatives are hypocrits for advocating more governmental powers on certain issues, while criticizing governmental intervention on other issues, then why aren't liberals hypocrits for taking the exact opposite positions on those issues?
Old 07-09-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Libertarians are the true conservatives.

Today's "Conservatives" are really fascist authoritarians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you please define "fascist authoritarians," then give me a few examples so I know what you are referring to. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because today's "conservatives" have no true principles, they only have talking points and arguments of convenience.

In short: they have propaganda.

Bear that in mind and their spiels will suddenly make a lot more sense to you.

q/q
Old 07-09-2005, 02:17 AM

You hit the nail on the head. Except that, like another poster said, liberals can be hypocritical too, so it's a bit unfair to say conservatives corner the market.

It's incredible when a party/ideology keeps backing one side of an issue when all reality and reason points the other way. People get caught up in the rhetoric of charismatic speakers and well-planned publicity campaigns, and all of a sudden huge numbers of people are backing something simply because their team chose that side of the issue.

That's why moderates are where it's at. Take each issue, and each politician, on a case by case basis.

-ptmusic