Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 07:10 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob
Default 3 stories from a gambler\'s life

Good people of the forum, you are in luck tonight as I feel like telling many stories and entertaining you.

Here are 3 stories from the real life, from those remote times I used to play live poker in suspicious underground clubs.

Story 1:

One night we were playing poker, this guy came into the club. He was a BIG fish, always drunk and never got up before he had lost all the money he had on him. Only problem is that he was extremely violent and everybody was afraid of him. But even so, we all liked to play with him because if you didn't offend him he would normally behave.
Anyway, this particular time, the guy obviously needed money, because after waiting for a seat, he sat down and put a baionette (these long knifes that soldiers used to attach at their rifles) on the table next to him without saying a word and started playing.
He would get involved in every pot and begun looking at the cards in the middle of the table, chosing the ones that he wanted and showing a good hand every time announcing he had won the pot.
Nobody dared say a word or complaining. Nobody dared getting up and if you tried to play it smoothly by just folding all your hands, he would just look at you and remind you it was not very nice of you not to play when we all were having such a good time. After like 30 minutes that seemed like an eternity, he decided he had been very lucky that evening, had won enough and went away wishing us a good evening!

Story 2:

This guy was also a BIG fish, same pattern, loses all he has, borrows all he can then loses that as well until he couldn't borrow anymore.
He was involved in every pot and the moment he stepped into a club, sharks would start making phone calls to other sharks and in a few minutes there was an incredible long waiting list. Games went usually on for days when he was playing, the swings were huge as the pots he was involved in always were enormous and as he also won some of them, you would take extra risks to try to get his money before somebody else did it.
Anyway, I have always liked this guy a lot, because even if he is a lousy poker player and I, as anybody else wanted to win his money, he has always been nice to me and we have been friends for a long time.
This time, after like 18 hours of play, the guy was ahead a lot, like 20.000$ and there were like 20 sharks waiting to get a seat. I had won nicely myself, was exhausted and the game had become too wild for my taste, so I decided to quit and as I was leaving, offered my friend to give him a lift home. I didn't like much the other players and knew my fish friend usually listened to me. The rest of the players would happyly have payed a hitman to take me out that instant, lol, but even if I made it very clear that it was a good idea to quit, that he had won a great amount of money, and so on, he decided that he was on a roll and stayed.
Of course I heard a couple of days later that he had lost everything once more and had to borrow to get a cab home...

Story 3:

Late one evening (or early one morning would be more accurate) this guy had been losing a lot.
This time he was not a big fish, but he was a big guy, had spent like 10 years behind bars and was not one you wanted to get in trouble with. Some skinny guy that had been around for years and knew everybody had been winning and probably because he was drunk, begun mocking the big guy that normally was a quiet player.
After an hour of this charade, he suddenly rised, the table flew across the room and he looked very, very angry. Everybody run for life but he was blocking the only door and we just tried to stay as far away from him as possible.
He pulled a big long gun out and put it against the head of the stupid drunk guy, who suddenly becamed awared of the situation. He started yelling that he was going to shot him right there and many horrible things while his face became all red. Finally he put the gun away, grab a chair and started hitting the other guy with it. after like 5 minutes, there was blood over the whole place, an ambulance was called, the victim was taken to the hospital and he had to have 17 stitches on the back of the head.
Next day, they were both playing again at the same table at the same lousy club. I am not saying they were best of friends, but none of them could stay away, the addiction to the game was too strong.

I forgot to tell that the guy from the first story was happily losing money again a few days later. nobody ever talked about his little act.

Is there a point in these stories? My opinion is that even if you know you shouldn't do some things, you will probably end up doing them anyway, such is the life of a gambler.

How about you, do you have any stories from online poker? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: 3 stories from a gambler\'s life

Its like folding. When you fold you relinquish any profits you can make in the hand. In your case if you die you relinquish all the profit you can make in your life.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How about you, do you have any stories from online poker? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

One guy called me a "xxxxing fish" once.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One guy called me a "xxxxing fish" once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats brutal. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did hit it off with the fine blonde lady in the #7 seat on Party Poker once.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is that even if you know you shouldn't do some things, you will probably end up doing them anyway, such is the life of a gambler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't ever utter these words to my girlfriend.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:42 AM

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

We got a regular phucking Doyle Brunson here.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:00 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

[ QUOTE ]
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

We got a regular phucking Doyle Brunson here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me translate your thoughts:
Please don't tell any more scary stories, I want to stay siting comfortably on my pink cloud, I like my room, my bed and my computer, they keep away the bad guys, like the ones that bothered me at school calling me names, nerd, fagget or bad things like that and no, no, and no, there is no big bad world outside this room. Now please leave the comfort of my monitor and let me cry in peace under my bed, SNIF...

Youre the kind that plays with the chat feature turned off right? other people can be so mean sometimes, snif, snif.... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 03:57 AM

You are an entertaining writer, and your post brought me all the enjoyment the title promised.

Your stories were evocative, if plain-spoken -- enough that I was screaming "Where was the damn staff?" after #1 "They should have hit 911 the minute a weapon came out!" Call me a wuss, if you like, but I've been shot at an stabbed in the service of my country, and anyone who thinks I should grin and bear it at a card table.... hasn't.

I suspected, but didn't feel I knew until Story #2, that you were speaking of a tiny room, probably a backroom game. Fire codes and all that, don'cha know.

However, I did feel that Story #3 had a slightly jarring difference in style. Suddenly, the grammar, spelling and word choice fell apart. It stands up well on its own, butwhen presented with the other two, I found myself asking "what happened?"

I look forward to your future posts. In fact, I'm putting you on my buddy list so I don't miss it.

And BTW, the guy who ranted on you was unwittingly giving a testamonial to your writing skill. Clearly, *they* found the picture you painted so horrific, that they couldn't see that your narrator was carefully noncommittal.

The angry poster was scared, your narrator was legitimately concerned, but merely reported the situation in front of him: "These things happen; you just have to keep your head." Who's the wuss?

Oh yeah, I forgot: Me.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did hit it off with the fine blonde lady in the #7 seat on Party Poker once.

[/ QUOTE ]

If my girlfriend ever read your reply on how you pick up girls on Party Poker she would kill me...(I think I mean that in the literal sense).