Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: 86\'d players

[ QUOTE ]
The legal age was set for a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

As noted above it is a pretty artificial reason.

I personally still marvel at how people stomach the 21 drinking age (and 19 smoking age, at least here in AL). An 18 year old can be drafted to fight for our country, but isn't allowed to have a smoke or a drink (or play a round of cards)?

I understand you have some financial incentive to card these folks (i.e. you can lose your job). However I see absolutely no moral reason for a stance like this. Just another case of our politicians mucking the place up.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:07 PM

One little kid was clog dancing in the aisle of the airplane on the way to Vegas. The stewardess put him up to it but she didn't have to ask twice.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally still marvel at how people stomach the 21 drinking age (and 19 smoking age, at least here in AL). An 18 year old can be drafted to fight for our country, but isn't allowed to have a smoke or a drink (or play a round of cards)?

I understand you have some financial incentive to card these folks (i.e. you can lose your job). However I see absolutely no moral reason for a stance like this. Just another case of our politicians mucking the place up.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are a few out there that can handle it but for the most part an 18 year old isn't mature enough to handle the adult world. I sure as hell don't understand and never will understand 18 year olds at war.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:47 AM

however, the general point that there are quite a few 25, 35 and 65 year-olds who can't handle it either is fairly valid.

I've long been opposed to the 21 y.o. drinking age fwiw (since we were half on that topic too).
I'm 34 now and I still think it's ridiculous.

19 and 20 year-olds drink....that's just a fact of life. I drank when I was 19 (and younger than that actually) as did most everyone else I know.

It's ridiculous that the legal drinking age is 21 when EVERYONE knows that young adults off at college (or entering the work-force) are drinking and that's how it's always been and how it always will be.

I find it equally ridiculous that the Fed-Gov used the highway-funds to force the issue and practically cancel-out any wishes the individual states might have had on this.

I've got lots and lots of problems with things in the U.S. though (18 year-olds getting sent off to war included) so I guess I'm just used to things around me being done in such a way that does not exactly conform to the way that I would prefer it be done (and yes...I do vote).

end rant.