Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Default 1 Rebuy no add-on

I'm planning on playing a live event next week but the structure is not what I'm used to. The format is one rebuy under the bar within one hour (2 periods) and no add-on. Should I just rebuy right away and play it like a FO or try to double up early and rebuy if i fail?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: 1 Rebuy no add-on

I like the rebuy right away. Assuming others rebuy right away, too, check out the math:

- You DON'T rebuy and start with, say, 1,500 chips. You double up with a hand from anyone and are then at 3,000. OR

- You DO rebuy right away and start with 1,500 X 2, or 3,000. Then, you double up through someone who also rebought. You are then at 6,000.

So ...

By not rebuying right away, under this scenario, you actually have LOST 3,000 chips.

The key here: I think, when a rebuy is offered to you right away, take it right away. This will maximize your chip potential.

Since there is only 1 rebuy and no add-ons, you will have to play your normal, FO style. But in this specific case, I think you hurt your chances by not taking the rebuy right away.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Re: 1 Rebuy no add-on

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. But what about if noone else rebuys right away? Perhaps it then would be better to try to double up before rebuying. Of course you could then be faced with the the nasty situation of being just above the bar when the second period is over and you've lost your chance of rebuying extra chips.