Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: u2

[ QUOTE ]
Some Good tunes up until Achtung Baby. All downhill since then. No other band has as inflated an opinion of their own importance as U2, though that's probably all about Bono.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, exactly. U2 is all reputation and self-promotion.

-Diplomat
Old 04-19-2005, 12:17 PM

What has U2 done to self-promote that is out of the ordinary? Don't start with the iPod commercial, because they took no money for that for some reason.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:21 PM

I don't buy into the sell-out stuff. Just because a band becomes successful in the mainstream doesn't mean the music sucks. It's the entire genre of that style of music that's gotten old. And U2 still breathes life into it, which is saying something.

Their new stuff is different, not better or worse. Face it, you'd still be tired of them even if they were pumping out Joshua Tree after Joshua Tree clone.

You either like them or you don't. Millions of people do. Probably more than don't.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What has U2 done to self-promote that is out of the ordinary? Don't start with the iPod commercial, because they took no money for that for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

just because they may not have gotten paid for it doesn't mean they didn't get promotion from it, or intend to get promotion from it.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just because they may not have gotten paid for it doesn't mean they didn't get promotion from it, or intend to get promotion from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question remains: What have they done to self-promote that is out of the ordinary? If doing one commercial is all you have, then I don't get the point of this thread.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The question remains: What have they done to self-promote that is out of the ordinary? If doing one commercial is all you have, then I don't get the point of this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm going to stop this right here because i don't think i was the one that complained about their self-promotion. i was just criticizing what you said.

i don't like post-joshua tree u2 primarily because they've made crappy music.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:42 PM

You don't call having your own "collectible" Ipod gratuitous self-promotion?

Self-promotion of the worst kind, in my opionion. And I agree with most of the other posters, great up until Achtung Baby, awful since.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't call having your own "collectible" Ipod gratuitous self-promotion?

Self-promotion of the worst kind, in my opionion. And I agree with most of the other posters, great up until Achtung Baby, awful since.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do look at it as self-promotion, but I don't see how it is out of the ordinary for a band with their level of popularity. ALL bands at this level of popularity self-promote to some extent, in some way. Selling an iPod with your whole library (I think I read that this is what this is) of music on it strikes me as simply selling their music in a different format. This just isn't all that extraordinary to me.

I'm no huge fan of the band. I don't think even Achtung Baby was a good album. The Joshua Tree is a classic, and I think All That You Can't Leave Behind is their best after that. Their live show is very solid, though I think they're not the best live band out there right now.

The members of U2 may be very arrogant (especially Bono), but most of the complaints about them in this thread circulate around this whole "self-promotion" thing as if trying to sell what they create to the best of their ability is something bad or wrong. While I'm certainly not buying into it, the iPod idea is at least innovative.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ALL bands at this level of popularity self-promote to some extent, in some way.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw i basically agree with you on this.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:10 AM

I had to did up this thread because U2's latest tour is amazing.

The show in Vancouver last night was off the hook.