Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: 47s big draw, standard?

[ QUOTE ]
You want a fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. You are a favorite on the flop. Why would you fold?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
good relative position against a LAG who is going to pay off if I hit

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how you have good relative position on the villain. Help me out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good relative position means that you have people to act between you and the pre-flop raiser. So on a flop when he likely will make a continuaion bet you have the chance to trap money in between and you also get to see how everyone else reacts to his bet before it gets back to you. It's obviously best to have both absolute and relative postion, but when calling raises relative postion is definetly a key in your decision to call. If Kow had acted after the PF raiser in this hand and had several people to act behind him this would be a much clearer fold pre-flop.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree it's pretty marginal (and it's not offsuit, so it's not the nuts...) but getting 3.5:1 preflop on my call closing the action with good relative position against a LAG who is going to pay off if I hit, I felt at the time the implied odds would justify a call.

Any thoughts on post flop?

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you played it wrong post flop. Do you see why?

(I always wanted to say that.)

[/ QUOTE ]

TWP-

I see what you mean, and as usual your analysis is dead on. If he's going to pay off when I hit anyway, I can take lines that risk less money than all-in if the end result is going to be my stack getting in when I hit and Villain paying me off.

Against a typical player, where there is a fair amount of fold equity on the flop, I think my line is best. Against a guy who is going to pay me off when I hit, I may as well wait until I hit to get my money in (and possibly saving a few bucks when I don't).

Correct David? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

KoW
Old 04-19-2005, 12:39 AM

The only problem with just calling on the flop is that you may not get to see the river if he prices you out on the turn. But I think that is a chance I would be willing to take. Since if I knew that I was going to miss on the turn, then I wouldn't be happy paying the price you had to pay to see whether or not I hit on the river. Since you are getting priced in to see the turn, I would just call, and then if the turn hits I of course want to get it all in (which doesn't look like it will be hard) and if the turn blanks, I'm happy to fold if I don't get the proper price. You don't get to play every draw you flop, unfortunately...
Old 04-19-2005, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop you do not have a $3 hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. FOLD
Old 04-19-2005, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

(I always wanted to say that.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I've always wanted to say "Follow that car!"
Still waiting for the chance.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Against a typical player, where there is a fair amount of fold equity on the flop, I think my line is best. Against a guy who is going to pay me off when I hit, I may as well wait until I hit to get my money in (and possibly saving a few bucks when I don't).

Correct David? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to say I think this is dead-on. If we were still in 50xBB the stacks on Party this would have been standard (including preflop generally speaking with relative position on a LAG. You guys are way to weak tighty around here for me sometimes). But when the stacks are 100xBB+, you can play the turn and river and there is nothing wrong with doing so. Saving yourself a big bet on the river a few times here and there could be the difference between being a moderate winner and a big winner. Money not-lost is the same as money won.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:02 AM

I would just open-push. That can be a really fun thing to do sometimes.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just open-push. That can be a really fun thing to do sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What on earth does that accomplish?

KoW
Old 04-19-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I admit I play more NL tournaments than cash games, so maybe this is a big lesson I need to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your kidding right...this is a great tourney semi bluff id make it everytime and the folding equity is enormous.

If you are afraid to go to the felt with an OESFD im not sure you are playing the right game.

Plz note: there are no "better spots" in ring game play as you simply take an and all EV+ spots...unless you are WAY underrolled.

P.S. Lead that flop with 8$ and wait for the reraise....push the magic dragon.