Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Flopped straight on monotone board

Don't have the exact hand history...

PP $50 NL 10max.

My stack: $60
Villain's stack: $70

I'm dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB.

UTG limps, MP1 limps, MP3 limps, CO (Villain) limps, SB completes, I check.

Flop ($3) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, I bet $3, folds to CO who min-raises to $6, folds to me I re-raise to $15 planning to fold to a raise or check/fold a turn diamond.

Look ok?

KoW
Old 04-06-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Flopped straight on monotone board

yeah, i think that's how i'd have played it..
Old 04-06-2005, 11:10 AM

"Look ok?" I'm intrigued. I'm torn between "clever play" and "chip spewing."

I'm curious what your turn and river plans are if he simply calls your reraise?

If I'm the villain, and I had a hand like AJs... I'd probably call your reraise, hope the board doesn't pay off, then try to 'milk' more from you on the turn. So, are you going to check/fold the turn?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:36 AM

If he calls my flop re-raise, I check/fold a diamond. If a non-diamond non-board pair card falls I throw a 1/2 pot blocking bet and fold to a raise. I likely have the best hand on the flop, and if the board pairs on the turn and I check, he's likely to check behind if he did happen to flop the flush. If he manages to call my re-raise with some sort of pair + A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], AND the board pairs on the turn, AND we check through, AND the river is a diamond, he can have the pot.

If he fires a sizable bet on a paired board, I think I can confidently fold my straight on the turn.

I don't think his min-raise on the flop is enough to convince me that my straight isn't good here.

So that was the intended plan...

Perhaps I'm just a stubborn chip spewer? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

KoW
Old 04-06-2005, 12:02 PM

"Perhaps I'm just a stubborn chip spewer?" I doubt it.

I won't pretend for a second that I have any idea what the correct way to play this hand. When this happens, rathar then strategy, I 'bitch and moan' to myself.

It would sound something like this, "Jeezus.. what the? Can I flop a *#*%#!ing straight without it being all diamonds?!! What have I done to deserve this? Can someone throw me a bone here? Lordie lordie lordie."

At which point the timer is counting down and I have to act quickly. I immediately bet and think, "since it took so long for me to bet, do they think I'm bluffing or have a monster"... and on and on.

I think this is a great hand to post. Its also a 'gambler's hand', I think, because you have 2 people showing aggression... this is likely to be a big pot.

Likewise... you either feel like a genius or a donkey if it goes to showdown. If he has the nutflush, you feel a little silly, "after all, he raised me with 3 diamonds on the board... what should I expect." or you feel like a champ if he's semi-bluffing.

I do like your play... so long as you have an idea (which you do) of what you're going to do on the following streets.

I'm not offering much here, so I should shut up. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2005, 02:52 PM

I think your straight is good here enough to try to make it to showdown. Villain could have adx, a set, or two pair. If he has the flush, you're screwed but you know this.

If he has adx or a set, your reraise is not enough to make him fold. If he has 2 pair, he will probably fold. And so if you are going to reraise, I think you have to reraise a lot more.

Alternatively you can call and make your play on the turn, depending upon what falls.

How I end up playing the hand on the flop would have a lot to do with my opponent's tendencies and ability--though even bad players flop flushes. Also if I felt like he'd flopped a flush, I may give up on the hand. I know it is dangerous to make decisions on a feel read when playing on-line; but at times, rightly or wrongly, I will make a decision on this basis.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:28 PM

i rarely ever give credit to people for flopping flushes. perhaps i should. i probably do what you did, and if a non-diamond hits the turn i push. maybe i'm a fool.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your straight is good here enough to try to make it to showdown. Villain could have adx, a set, or two pair. If he has the flush, you're screwed but you know this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Over 1/2 the deck is a scare card that I'll have to dodge on the turn and the river (assuming I'm not already behind).

[ QUOTE ]
If he has adx or a set, your reraise is not enough to make him fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he calls my re-raise, he's paying $9 to win $24, which is worse than 3:1. If he has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]X or a set, he's worse than 3:1 dog to improve on the turn, so i don't mind if he calls as I'm giving him the wrong price.

[ QUOTE ]
And so if you are going to reraise, I think you have to reraise a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point in the hand, I've invested just under 1/3 of my stack and given him incorrect odds to call on his likely hands I'm ahead of. If you suggest a higher re-raise, how much more can I put in without being committed to showdown?

Let me know if I've got some flawed logic here...

KoW
Old 04-06-2005, 05:54 PM

I probly screwed up the math--never could count.

I have adx at 64/36 and a set at 62/38. And so he’s priced in. No?

I vacillate on what to do here. I can see reraising big and committing myself on the flop. Or playing the hand weakly and getting to a cheap showdown or folding.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I probly screwed up the math--never could count.

I have adx at 64/36 and a set at 62/38. And so he’s priced in. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Do not confuse his odds of making it with 2 cards to come with his odds of making it on the next card. If my $15 raise put me all in, you're correct, he would have the right price, but if Villain misses on the turn, he will have to call another bet to make it by the river.

Make sense?

KoW