Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 03-29-2005, 11:10 PM

Default zaxx19 says \"Get out of the Kiddie Pool and make some moves\", so I do

Ok here we go. My typical game, $2-$5 $200max Live at local B&M.

UTG is a very tough opponent. He's the best player at the table and probably best in the whole room.

MP1 is an uberfish. UTG and I have been torturing everyone at the table. I have MP1 pegged as weak bet == weak hand. And I've check-raised him to take pots away from him when observing this.

Stacks:
Me: $375
UTG: $300
MP1: $250

Hero is on the button with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

UTG limps, folds to MP1 who limps, CO limps, I call on the button, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop ($25) 5 players

K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG bets $20. MP1 calls. CO folds, I call, BB folds.

Turn ($85) Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG checks, MP1 bets $15, I call, UTG calls.

River ($130) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks, MP1 checks, I bet $100.

All thoughts appreciated.

KoW
Old 03-29-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: zaxx19 says \"Get out of the Kiddie Pool and make some moves\", so I do

I like your play- obviously you are a little worried about UTG setting you up for a check raise, but you played this exactly like you are on a flush draw, so unless he has the nut flush, he is gonna have trouble calling it (plus, unless you have a very loose table image, i dont think he checks this river if he has hit the nut flush). My big worry is that the fish will make a frustrated King, bad kicker call, not even seeing the flush out there. In general, if you had a good feel for these guys, its a nice move to make.

The only seroius issue I have is with your flop call. The implied odds might be there, but two of your outs are hearts, which means you might not be able to capitalize or you might get really beat up.... i think that a pretty loose call.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: zaxx19 says \"Get out of the Kiddie Pool and make some moves\", so I do

If your read on MP1 is correct, you should take this down without a problem.

Of course, you could just check behind and give up the hand. But I think this is a pretty good move given the action, the board, and your reads.

On a side note, that must be a pretty tough game: if you and UTG each bought in for $200 and you're both "torturing" everyone, how come your stacks are so small? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, that must be a pretty tough game: if you and UTG each bought in for $200 and you're both "torturing" everyone, how come your stacks are so small?

[/ QUOTE ]

After i submitted this, I figured that someone would point that out. I guess most of the torturing must have happened after this hand. By the end of the night we were doing some severe "pwnage" [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I probably should have just left that line out. Oh well.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:29 PM

First of all, I fold the flop with the heart draw out, but whatever. Let's get to the river.

Hmm...I'm not sure how much I like it. I find it pretty hard to put a very good UTG on a hand to play like this. He bets into a crowd on the flop. Then he checks the turn. Looks like he is check/folding the turn but can't fold for that small a bet. Otherwise, he may have been betting the heart draw and decided not to fire again since the pot is still multi-way. Then he checks the river. So he is either continuing with his plan of check/folding to a real bet or he is check/raising after hitting his heart. The check/raise is risky, though, becuase MP probably has a bad king or maybe even a queen and you have shown no strength so I would put you on either the OESD or the flush draw. If you have the flush draw and he has the nuts, a check/raise would be a good play and you won't call a bet with a busted straight draw anyways, but if I were in his position holding the nuts I would just bet out and hope to get called by your smaller flush (if you have one) and MPs weak king since I wouldn't expect you to come alive on the river without the flush and the odds of both of you being on the flush draw are small. So, once he checks the river I doubt he is check/raising and therefore I think he is check/folding. You just have to bet enough to get rid of MPs weak king or queen and I think you have done that. So I like it.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: zaxx19 says \"Get out of the Kiddie Pool and make some moves\", so I

Raise the turn. I don't think that UTG could overcall there with many hands and therefore will define his hand very well. This all depends on MP2's wanting to give up the hand after his weak bet. I played with a kid the other night who would bet 2$ on every street with bottom pair and so I called down to the river with ace high intending to bluff, but when I raised big, he decided he liked his hand.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:16 AM

At these limits:
Preflop - consider raising on the button with small suited connectors.
Flop - strongly consider semi-bluff raise (fold to reraise since this = set)
Turn call is fine since you are drawing cheaply to your str8. I would never raise here since MP1 is likely to have a set or KQ, and I want to see the river.
River - this bluff is so read dependent. Either push, or bet as little as possible that you think will fold your opponents. UTG be attempting to CR MP1 so you could be in trouble.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:42 AM

Eh? When was this hand played? I didn't see you there today. I guess it was last night. UTG's play baffles me, although it would help to know who it was. If he calls you on the river there (and has no flush) then I'll have to say that you need to reconsider who you consider to be the best player in the room. As for MP1, he sounds like he's too clueless to put you on a flush, so I guess it comes down to your read of how weak his hand is.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn call is fine since you are drawing cheaply to your str8. I would never raise here since MP1 is likely to have a set or KQ, and I want to see the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
MP1 doesnt have either of those hands if read is correct since his bet is so weak.

I like a raise on the turn, but it all depends on when you want to take down the pot really as no one is really representing anything call worthy.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:12 AM

This was a hand from this weekend. UTG was Jason. It was a very weird line for him to take.

KoW