Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Why do the Jews...

People of my grandparents generation had a distrust of the "goyim". They came from Russia or Poland where they were persecuted by the non-jews, so they naturally were not inclined to trust them. When they came to America they continued to almost exclusively do business with and associate with other Jews. In my opinion, this was mostly due to distrust of non-jews that was only natural considering their background.

This attitude was still prevelant (but less so) in my parent's generation. In my generation, it hardly exists at all, but there is still some remnants of it in our character. For instance, when I went to choose a doctor from my health plan, I choose one with a Jewish name. This is despite the fact that I have been to black and hispanic doctors in the past and have had good experiences with them and have at least one negative exprience with a Jewish doctor.

Jews are hardly the only ethnic group to trust their kind more than outsiders. It is a basic principle of group dynamics. I would probably trust a 2+2 poster more than a RGP poster, even though there is no rational reason to do so. But I think that this tendency is exagerrated in the Jewish people because of our history.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:47 PM

I never heard the phenomenon put so succintly and eloquently before.

What he said.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm Jewish and a member of the International Zionist Conspiracy. PM me for details.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, still sounds like a distant second to the Stonecutters to me. Sing me a cool song and I'll consider conversion.