Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 04-04-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Too aggressive?

2 table Sng at stars with 12 people still in. The Blinds are 50/100 and I’m the short stack with T 1165. 6 players at the table, utg the folds, the next two limp. I’m on button with 99, I move all in, sb calls with TT and I get no help and I’m out. Is this pretty much a mandatory play or do I need something a little stronger? It seems I’ve been running into higher pairs every time I make this play.

Old 04-04-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive?

You're not at the desperation point yet. As aggressive as I am, I still don't like throwing down the gauntlet with 99 when 2 opponents have already chosen to enter the pot. with 1195, I'd probably call and see what flopped. With less than 1100, it's a tough choice between folding and gambling.

Old 04-04-2004, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive?

I think it is a pretty solid play you made. Hard to fault you after the the two limpers you are likely to have the best hand and there is a ton of money in the pot.

Heck I would be worried if you were folding, not if you were raising and got beat.

Edited after reading the first response. What makes it a good play is two people have shown weakness by limping early, you still have enough of a stack to scare them and you hope to win in one of two ways, by having them fold or by having your hand hold up. EP might well fold A-Q, A-J or A-T in this position, which would be a FTOP mistake if they could get the nines HU with other money in the pot.

The hands I would be most afraid of from the limpers would be 10-10 or JJ but that is a chance you take.

Regards