Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Help Please

Okay after yet another boneheaded play in a two plus two event I have come on here to seek the advice of the experts. Here is my problem I have been playing winning poker for about a year now. Not huge profits by no means but profits nevertheless. Anyway as I moved up in levels I find there are always other good players at the table. I know this is to be expected but I have a problem against good players.

Take this hand from tonight’s two plus two sng.

T6 suited on the button. I think okay I'm going to steal I raise it. Folded to the BB Cris Brown. She reraises me. Now I know I should fold and I would against 99% of the players out there. But against good players I tend to think I can make a move on them. So instead of FOLDING I reraise all in. I always seem to think a good player is making a move on me. It seems odd I give a fish credit for a good hand but not a good player. Anyway, Cris calls with QQ and I lose Thank God or else Cris would have written a 42 page rant about bad luck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] To further add to my demise William tells me I have less patience than a 5 year old at the zoo.

But anyway this is a massive leak in my game. I tend to try to make moves on good players because I always think they’re making moves on me. The sad thing is every now and then my boneheaded plays work and it further reinforces my negative thinking. I know when a strong player shows strength I should avoid them like the plague but I don’t. Any help on this?

No wonder I don’t have a girl friend with moves like this.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Help Please

Are you saying that your moves with girls are similar to this...that might explain the love life trouble... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I saw the hand in question, and the blind steal was a decent attempt (what was the blind level and stack size...may not have been worth it), but when you get popped back on a steal it's time to put up your hands and say "you got me".

True, Cris's image is very aggressive, and she did have a pretty big stack if I remember correctly which gives her some bully power to make moves, but do you really want to mess around with someone who can bust you if you read it wrong?

Hey, it was a mistake. I played two SnGs tonight and can count a few of my own. The question is...what will you (and I) do next time when confronted with similar situations?

CCC
Old 02-26-2004, 01:25 AM

Hiya Bluff,

This was a great steal attempt gone bad. Stealing with your hand was perfect because it's easy to fold to a reraise. It's a low-risk steal ... give yourself a shot at the blinds, and if someone comes in over you, get away with a minimal loss.

Until you called the reraise....

Cris
Old 02-26-2004, 01:30 AM

It's very possible Cris was making a move on you, but a T6 is not a hand to test that theory. WHen you make a steal attempt, be prepared to lay it down vs. any resistance.

While playing in a little home tourney, it got down to heads up and blinds were eating me up, so I tried to steal my opponents BB with a K7o. He called and turns up T3o!?!? "I thought you were bluffing" he says - well "I kinda was, but what did you think a T3 was gonna beat?"

Pick your moments to defend your blinds or steal hands. Don't just do it cuz you fear a move.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:59 AM

Default Image....

Hi LetsRock and CCC,

Both of you commented that I'm very aggressive (true) and that it's very possible I was making a move with this hand (less true). I do have a reputation as a very aggressive maniac, but this is perhaps an example of where details do matter when you're reading an opponent's play.

I open-raise into a lot of pots, and with a lot of kinds of hands. But I rarely call into a raised pot, or reraise. I try not to get into big pots with bad hands. Yes, I mix it up sometimes (accidentally or on purpose), but by and large if I'm going to get into a raised pot, I want a hand that I am comfortable taking to a showdown.

I see the same pattern in a lot of the "crazy" players I encounter. They may raise UTG with 72o, but they rarely call into a raised pot, or reraise, without a real hand. That's one of the reasons I so rarely call a reraise, even if I'm in a pot with a "maniac."

Cris
Old 02-26-2004, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Image....

When I look at my play some more, I find out that it was even worse than I thought. Of course Cris is going to call my reraise basically no matter what she has because of the odds she was getting. So I took a weak steal and turned it into an all in hand. GOOD JOB BLUFF1 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm sorry I get on myself hard for making a bad play that way I won't do it again hopefully. At any rate nice hand Cris and well played.