Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-30-2005, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Catholic v. Christian

So what is someone born in the Middle East into an Islamic family supposed to do? If it were you, do you HONESTLY think you would not be a Muslim right now?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:05 AM

I think it's most likely that I would have been a muslim, yes.
I think if I were around when Christ was I would have been one of the Jews trying to get him killed.

Yet, I'd like to think that I would see if I could defend and rationalise my faith.
Isn't is obvious that if a person has exposure to beliefs they are more likely to accept it, it's only because they have had exposure to it.
A person who I really respect was brought up in a Jewish home, he now believes in Jesus, against his family's wishes, he has been quite excluded from his family.
I like to think that I would measure the accuracy of my beliefs with personal experience and finding relevant answers to my questions.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:16 AM

I appreciate your honesty.

Although I obviously don't agree with your friend's conclusion, I also respect anyone who thinks outside what they were brought up to believe, and arrives at their own conclusions. Even if he remained Jewish, as long as he thinks for himself at some point. You seem to have done this as well (which I also respect even though I disagree with your conclusions), but it's surprising how many have not.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:44 PM

I thought your question was why some Christians think of Catholics as non-Christians?

It was, and there was actually an intelligent discussion going on until that nimrod preached at me. If he said. "some people believe that infant baptism is counter to the teachings of Jesus" that's an intelligent reply that adds to the discourse. His reply was empty proselytizing and I responded just as I would to someone preaching in my face.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:47 PM

You forgot China [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The results speak for themselves.

They do, and I did add the libertarian part afterward. I would never support such measures, but when I get angry, the evil part of me comes out. Wu v. Wei and all that. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In things spiritual, he who has the experience is never at the mercy of he who has an argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said, as he argued about spirituality.