Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-29-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Job Application Questions: Protocol for applying online

Unsure about the preferred method for this. If they ask you to send them your cover letter/resume by email, should I:

a) Write cover letter in the body of the email with resume attached
b) Attach cover letter in addition to the resume
c) Attach cover letter and resume in single file

Also, should they be sent in Word format or PDF, or both?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Job Application Questions: Protocol for applying online

[ QUOTE ]

a) Write cover letter in the body of the email with resume attached

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Also, should they be sent in Word format or PDF, or both?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would stick with plain text. Barring that, word.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:20 PM

C) Is your best option.

Mention in the body that both are attached. I would attach both a PDF and an RTF file (rich text format, which can be opened with any word processing program)
Old 12-29-2005, 07:29 PM

when you attach your cover letter it immediately appears to be a form letter - regardless of content. i strongly recommend using the body of the email for the "letter" and attaching your resume. when i go through resumes, i generally just trash any where the cover letter looks like a form - "sir/madam" etc. - and when it comes as an attachment I am immediately suspicious.

always find out the name of the person who will be reviewing your resume and address him directly in your email. also, make sure to cite one or two things specific to the company that appeal to you. make it as personalized as possible without being obsequious.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you attach your cover letter it immediately appears to be a form letter - regardless of content. i strongly recommend using the body of the email for the "letter" and attaching your resume. when i go through resumes, i generally just trash any where the cover letter looks like a form - "sir/madam" etc. - and when it comes as an attachment I am immediately suspicious.

always find out the name of the person who will be reviewing your resume and address him directly in your email. also, make sure to cite one or two things specific to the company that appeal to you. make it as personalized as possible without being obsequious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for these tips!

Also, I am applying for "New Graduate" positions, and there are quite a few that I am interested in. In my cover letter, should I mention specifically which ones I would like to be considered for, or is there a good way to say "Please consider me for every damn job available!"
Old 12-29-2005, 07:35 PM

I've read through hundreds of online applications to hire a few people around here and here are my preferences:

Cover Letter
Put the cover letter in the body of the email. This is your foot in the door. Do not copy and paste it out of your Cover Letters for Dummies book, but instead, be a little creative. Keep it brief.

You want the person reading it to remember you - and believe me, there's rarely anything in a typical resume that will make you stand out. The cover letter is where it's at. One way to make the person remember you that you should avoid is to write and spell like a chinchilla. Proof read, spell check, and then have someone else proof read your letter. When spell checkers autocorrect words incorrectly, you look stupid.

Resume
Attach the resume as a separate document in whatever format is requested in the job posting (it almost always specifies). When in doubt, PDF is the best choice.

Try to keep it short, if possible. If it's multi-page, look at how it prints and make sure you don't have most of a blank page at the end. Leave room in the margin for the interviewer to write notes.

Emphasize your goals and major, relevant accomplishments. Leave out the details of that paper route you had in 7th grade or the pizza place you worked in high school (unless you have no other work experience or are applying to a newspaper or pizza joint).

Same spelling and grammar advice on the resume. I threw out at least 25% of applications because of poor written communication skills.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I am applying for "New Graduate" positions, and there are quite a few that I am interested in. In my cover letter, should I mention specifically which ones I would like to be considered for, or is there a good way to say "Please consider me for every damn job available!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Specify which positions you're interested in and try to give them some priority. Also make sure the goals section of your resume matches with the position(s) you're applying for.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:48 PM

sorry for the hi-jack but...

What is the deal with these online like 20 pages of questions all about how you feel about things...
ie: You are annoyed when someone is working slower than you. 1 = never never 5 = hell yes i am

I filled out like 5 applications like that honestly and stuff and i never heard back...

DO YOU NEED TO LIKE DO THE FULL EXACT OPPOSITE ON EVERY QUESTION OR SOMETHING?