Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-26-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: 50/100 HU hand #1

i dont play this high but whats your play if he pushes after you pot the river? wouldnt 3/4 pot be better so you can let it go if theres a push? or do you plan on calling?
Old 12-26-2005, 06:12 PM

GGB,

If we're playing really fast I'll 3-bet and then value bet the river. If its a more slow paced match I'm much more likely to call the raise and evaluate the river. If the river looks like a blocking bet I might raise for value.

Anyway, I also think a flop lead is a strong play heads up. Against this type of opponent that is going to get flustered, you really want to lead a ton of flops. Especially if he's firing 2 bullets routinely... You also want to be able to lead your big hands and make big pots.

-Jason
Old 12-26-2005, 07:59 PM

I agree 100% with what AZK said. In asking for someone to tell you the "correct" play or even give you some sort of relevant thought process, you are drastically underestimating the importance of psychology and "the past 100 hands" in HU play. Think about how important some of the following are in your decision in this specific hand:

1) How aggro is your opponent in making continuation bets? Has he been firing a hand like K9 on a flop like this or does he check behind top pair on "safe" flops?

2) When he checks behind the flop, how often have you been leading on the turn? Have you been varying your betting from 1/4 pot to full pot or more concentrated in the 3/4-pot range?

3) Has he attempted to steal based on scare cards?

4) How smart is he? Does he try to disguise bluff-raises as value raises? Does he make thin overbets on the river? Or is he just an easy to read player who value bets strong hands and pots bluffs?

I'm sure you know that this list can continue much further. I'm not saying that you can't get some sort of reasonable discussion based on the information that you gave us. But my point is two-fold:

1) HU High Stakes NL discussion is pretty fruitless when people haven't been watching you play.

2) You should at least try to answer some of those questions I posted or give some sort of background about how you have been playing in a way that it applies to this specific hand. Even if you say something as basic as "he likes to make delayed continuation bets on the turn and follows through with turn bluff raises with bets on the river" it makes any response someone gives infinitely more applicable.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:38 PM

Hi ggbman,

Not sure what you're asking, here, so I'll throw out some things that may or may not be obvious.

I'd be cautiously assuming I have the best hand here. If I do, his hand isn't that good. If I don't, his hand is between very good and a monster. Thus, I want to play a pot with about $5K, max in it; if the pot gets bigger than that, I'm gonna lose or not get called on the end.