Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Unabomber bust out hand: good semibluff or resteal?

no it was K3 into an unknown hand as poker is played. you have a chance for a bracelet and millions in cash and you push K3. way to work those edges. donk move.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:05 AM

I really don't know much about Laak's game, but just the few times I've seen him on TV he seems like the type to eventually self destruct. Of course this is just my opinion. And he is so annoying.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:13 AM

he risked 2M chips for 400K. It was not a great play, but Antonius seems super aggresive, and it is a reraise with a lot of FE. An (incorrect) read on the raise could have made the difference, but I think I am correct in stating that Antonius is raising as much as half his hands from that position, and probably needs at least AQ or a decent sized pair to call the large reraise, which consistitutes a pretty small part of his range. I am not defending Laak's play, but I really don't think it is as bad as it seems. And I refuse to provide any mathematical reasoning right now. It is 2 in the morning, lay off!
Old 12-17-2005, 02:25 AM

Wonder if he was trying to look cool on tv with this play.

I agree this play probably does have a high chance of being successful but the few times its not, you are history.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:38 AM

Antonious has been raising a whole lot before this, showing down stuff like 85o and whatnot, Laak hadn't been playing back at him at all. It isnt a terrible move, even though I doubt I would make it.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Very simple explanation

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very simple explanation, actually.

Phil was getting ready to do the crab dance
Old 12-17-2005, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that worked out pretty good for him.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:25 AM

Laak clearly cultivates his unstable image, and has also said that tournaments are harder to win now because of the TV exposure of his wild style.

However I suspect he is properly tight in the beginnings of tournaments, and has probably found that he can use his famous loose image to his advantage early on. TV tournaments also have wild blinds at the end to facilitate a lot of action, so his loosening up is warranted to some extent by the time he reaches the television.

However Laak still has a wild streak above and beyond the prudent.. (contrasted with say.. the kind of 'prudent wildness' that Harrington displays when the blinds begin to force action) Laak draws great strength from that wild beast that wants to raise raise raise... but he struggles to keep it reined in. It gets out at the wrong times on occation, the true mastery of the "ultra-rager" style is knowing how to employ it selectively. It is a hard style to manage for both the opponent and the practitioner -- Laak seems to desire variance at the high levels of the tournament, even when he is an underdog or is flipping for his whole stack... probably comes from having a movie star gf